Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unified IP Color Key Expansion Module + cisco 9971 + third party Switch

zarafa.nicolas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just installed a cisco IP telephony network using a third party LAN Switch POE.

All thnig seems work good, but when i add a expansion module Cisco Unified IP Color Key Expansion Module" to cisco IP phone 9971, the expansion module couldn"t be activated ( no power à. but when i add a power cube , the miodule is working.

I find the documentation for this third party switch, and i found that its support " 802.3at" standard ?

Please, i want know ,if there is any compatibility matrix or any cisco official document that give the third party Switch compatibility ...?

Thanks for help

Nicolas

2 Replies 2

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As long as the switch is providing 802.3AT instead of AF you should be good according to this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/9971_9951_8961/7_1_3/english/admin/guide/9971kem.html#wp1086583

Power Information

The Cisco Unified IP Color Key Expansion Module for the Cisco Unified  IP Phone 8961, 9951, and 9971 have the following power consumption and  power scheme.

Power Consumption

48V DC, 5W per KEM

Power Scheme

At least one KEM can be powered up if the Cisco Unified IP Phone 8961, 9951, and 9971 uses AT PoE.

If  the phone uses a power adapter, three KEMs can be powered up for the  Cisco Unified IP Phone 9971, two KEMs can be powered up for the Cisco  Unified IP Phone 9951, and one KEM can be powered up for the Cisco  Unified IP Phone 8961.

A KEM cannot be powered up if the Cisco Unified IP Phone 8961, 9951, and 9971 uses AF PoE.

nlandas01
Level 1
Level 1

I recognize that this is an older post but we have a very similar problem/question.

A vendor is deploying 8961 phones with a single KEM for us. The KEMs are not powering up. They are attached to our HP Procurve 8206 switches with zl modules that are 802.3At compliant. I have manually set the port to use the class 3 designation of the phone to provide power so that 15.4W is being provided but the KEM still is not powering up.

Based on the documentation we appear to be using the phone in a situation where the single KEM should power properly and I'm seeing no errors on the switch side. I do not currently have access to the Cisco Management System to check the 8961s programming to confirm that the USB port is on.

So are there known issues with thw 8961 w/ single KEM and the HP PRocurve 8206zl's 802.3AT POE?

Thank you.