Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unified Mobility License Question

mansssorange
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I noticed that when configuring a primary device for mobility under the user configuration, it reduces the number of DLUs consumed from 4 to 2, but will this affect the user in any way when using mobility?

I tried to find any difference from the user experience side by configuring a primary device under mobility and trying the features, then I removed the device and tried the features again, I tried them on the phone configured and on other phones as well, all was working fine with no problems.

Appreciate if any one can confirm this issue please, thanks a lot.

7 Replies 7

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no impact to the functionality. You are seeing Mobility being placed into Adjunct Licensing mode. This lowers the quantity of DLUs required for the feature when a physical Cisco phone is also assigned to this user. It was a mechanism for making Unified Mobility more attractive for a-la-carte customers. The same principal applies when you associate a physical Cisco phone to a Cisco soft phone such as IP Communicator. A physical phone will allow up to two adjunct devices.

Note that this licensing model has been superceeded by User Connect Licensing starting in UCM 7.1(5) and 8.0(1). You may want to speak with your partner or Cisco Account Manager about the changes and whether Unified Workspace Licensing is a better fit for you.

FIrst of all thanks for your reply.

Well each user here has an IP phone and EM Profile so I think it will be very benefical to use the adjunct licensing mode.

Just let me confirm that I am getting this right.

1. We have 10 employees.

2. Each employee has his own IP phone and his own EM Profile.

3. When we configure the "" field under each user account with his own IP phone, so the DLUs will be reduced by 2 x 10 = 20 DLUs.

4. If the user wants to log into any IP phone (not the one assigned under his account), he will use the mobility feature with no problems? Or he must log into his IP phone for the mobility feature to work properly? I made this test and found no problem when logging into any IP phone.

I just want to confirm everything before applying the changes on all the employees here, about 1500. It is very wierd actually as during the implementation our Cisco partner told us that this filed of the "Primary User Device" will not make a difference with us and so is not important.

Many thanks again for your help.

Regards

Yes, Unified Mobility will work just fine in conjunction with Extension Mobility. In this case an incoming call would alert on the user's normal phone, the phone they have logged into, and their remote destination(s). Just be sure to set the soft key template on the user's device profile to something that includes the Mobility soft key.

Hi

I suspect you may be a little confused between some similarly named features here:

EM Profiles (by which you mean a Device Profiles for Extension Mobility) do not take any DLUs at all; they are 'free', if you like.

So you can't make them adjunct with a real phone, and there's no reason to want to. I think that's what your Cisco Partner was getting at.

So the 'primary user device' on the End User page is not related to EM, but to the Mobility feature (SNR/dial via office). If you are configuring Mobility for your users, then you will get the adjunct licensing saving, but not for standard EM users without Mobility configured.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies, yes I know that EM will not use any DLUs but can u clarify for me please, what are the advantages and disadvantages (from the user experience side) of having a primary device configured for them???

I am thinking of it that, since the number of DLUs will be reduced when assigning a primary device, then there must be a certain limitation we will face.

Thanks again.

Hi

I believe Jonathan has already clarified that for you:

Advantage: Reduce DLU usage

Disadvantage: Have to administer it by setting unique 'primary' device for each user, even if those users are EM and therefore don't have a specific device

I was just pointing out that your DLUs would not/could not be reduced if you just have EM and Phones as your example suggested.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thank you all for your help    All is perfectly clear now, we will go ahead and assign to each user a device, it is really worth it.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: