Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 8.0 and Active Directory

Richard Venn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been completing due diligence on a new customers network running CUCM 8.0 and Unity 8.0.

The Unity (voicemail only) servers have been built on windows 2003 and the server is also running as the AD for the voice network. This AD is not linked to the customers corporate AD environment.

From the following link, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/8x/requirements/8xcusysreq.html#wp472549, I can see that for Cisco Unity Unified Messaging, that Unity and the AD on the same box is not supported.

Caution In a Unified Messaging configuration, installing Cisco Unity on a domain controller or global catalog server is not supported.

However in the following section “Active Directory Requirements—Cisco Unity Voice Messaging” there is no mention of whether this is supported or not? Can anyone shed any light on this configuration as to it supportability by Cisco?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

(Yes I am aware the above is all EoS/EoL etc)

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not done Unity deployment in few years, but it always used to be supported in VM only deployment to use the Unity server as DC/GC, it was never supported in UM deployment, so I think you are fine here.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

slakhanp
Level 1
Level 1

The limitation is regarding Unified Messaging configuration only. As you are only using VM only configuration, it would be supported.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Richard,

Chris and Saurabh are most correct (+5 each)

Active Directory Requirements—Cisco Unity Voice Messaging

Revised June 9, 2010

The Cisco Unity server is a domain controller/global catalog server (DC/GC) in its own Active Directory 2003 domain

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/8x/requirements/8xcusysreq.html#wp472549

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not done Unity deployment in few years, but it always used to be supported in VM only deployment to use the Unity server as DC/GC, it was never supported in UM deployment, so I think you are fine here.

HTH,

Chris

slakhanp
Level 1
Level 1

The limitation is regarding Unified Messaging configuration only. As you are only using VM only configuration, it would be supported.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Richard,

Chris and Saurabh are most correct (+5 each)

Active Directory Requirements—Cisco Unity Voice Messaging

Revised June 9, 2010

The Cisco Unity server is a domain controller/global catalog server (DC/GC) in its own Active Directory 2003 domain

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/8x/requirements/8xcusysreq.html#wp472549

Cheers!

Rob

"Why not help one another on the way" - Bob Marley

Richard Venn
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks all for confirming this!

In the past I have only linked Unity to a customers AD, or at least to one on separate servers.

Cheers

Richard