cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection and Speech Connect

david-lima
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all, I read that the feature Speech  Connect is available for Cisco Unity Connection Version 7.1.3 and later. I've installed CUC7.1.3 and CUCM 7.1.3 and I would like to configure this feature.

If any one have configured this plase share the tips or a document.

Thanks a lot

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Speech Connect is actually built into the CUC application.  There really isn't any special set-up or anything like you'd have with Speech Connect for Unity. Essentially when you choose to "voice-enable" a directory handler or AA and you search by name, that's the Speech Connect engine at work.  If the user has a recorded name, you'll hear it play.  If not, the SEAA (Speech Enabled Auto Attendant) will pronounce names for you.

Hailey

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Speech Connect is actually built into the CUC application.  There really isn't any special set-up or anything like you'd have with Speech Connect for Unity. Essentially when you choose to "voice-enable" a directory handler or AA and you search by name, that's the Speech Connect engine at work.  If the user has a recorded name, you'll hear it play.  If not, the SEAA (Speech Enabled Auto Attendant) will pronounce names for you.

Hailey

Hi Hailey, thanks a lor for the explanation. I configure a drectory handler with the voice feature enabled. When I dial the number, it request to spell the last and first name. I was wondering if it is possible to configure something like "who you would like to reach" and only say the first name and last name, like speech connect.

Thanks again

David

Hi Hailey, I didn't check the Voice Enabled in the directory handler.

Thanks a lot my friend.

Have a nice weekend.

David

I was just replying to you. I was going to ask just that question. FYI: There are a couple of voice services - these are related to the VUI (for voice-enabled subscriber access). There are only 1 or 2 Speech Connect type tweaks that can be made and they are in the Advanced > Conversation menu. You normally don't need to do anything with that.

Hailey

Hi Hailey, thanks a lot for the info and yor time.

All the best

David

Hello guys

how do we voice enable a call handler AA? For example I have a Welcome call handler opening greeting that announces:

'welcome to blahblah, announce 1 for sales dept or 2 for marketing dept'

Also can a directory handler be used to search beyond the unity connection directory - little bit like using the 'caller system transfer' where a caller can announce an extension or a name thats not in Unity?

TIA...Jeff 

Well, you don't voice-enable a Call Handler.  Call Handler still require DTMF input from callers.  You can voice-enable a Directory Handler.  So callers would still press 1 for Sales and then be routed to a voice-enabled DH.  From there, they could speak the name of an employee and, if that name exists, be routed to that user.  As for calling someone not in the directory, you can still allow callers to input digits and use system transfer options but the search scopes for a DH are still limited to Entire Server, CoS, Distribution List and in CUC the Search Space.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Jeff,

First off, I should say what an excellent explanation by Hailey (+5 H-Man!)

For the second part of your question, if you want to have people that

can be searched via the voice-enabled DH but don't have a mailbox on the system

you can set them up as Contacts in Unity Connection which doesn't require any

licenses

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks guys, very helpful as always and much appreciated.

It was the 'voice enable AA' comment from the original answer that sort of  made me think that perhaps you could voice enable a CH.

So I have a customer that wants a totally voice enabled front end to their company - Cisco Unity Connection with Speech Connect will not do it for them, is that right?

TIA ..Jeff

Unless I've missed something big along the way, no - CUC w/Speech Connect will not provide a complete voice-enabled front-end for a company.  I believe you'd need to look into the CVP (Customer Voice Portal) product as a starting place for something of that nature.  Speech Connect, even the version sold with Unity, is considered an SEAA (Speech Enabled Auto Attendant) but the primary purpose it serves with CUC or Unity is as an operator replacement.  So, the intent was to eliminate dialing zero and going to an operator to be routed to someone within a company.  Instead, you could use Speech Connect as an SEAA and provide internal and/or external access for callers to call into your company and look up a user by name.  Speech Connect for Unity also has some departmental capabilities but in my use of that product, I would say I can't see where it could completely front-end a business.

Hope that helps brother.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Cheers, that does help alot,

Jeff

Hello everyone,

I am researching on couple of requirements of my client and wondering if any one of you can share some inputs. Client is running Unity connection 8.6 and has following needs:

1. During the testing of the prompts, I wanted to place a call by saying “call 22124”. The system replied with “did you mean 2124”. The system should not be referring to 4 digit extensions. is there a setting for this I can check?

2. I created a message and wanted to send it via an extension rather than a name, they system would not accept an extension. Is there a setting that needs to be turned on? It did give me an option to press 9 to enter the extension. This really defeats the whole purpose of voice recognition. Basically, client wants to say the extension and expect the system to accept it.

Per my research so far, it seems UCN looks at Display Name field to find the subscriber and there is no way I can change that behavior. But, I'll let you guys comment on that so that I can come to a final conclusion.

thanks a bunch in advance,

Kapil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: