cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME 4.1 and Personal Directory (Host not found issue)

Tiberie Kirijas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a CME running Version 4.1(0) that is using external corporate directory from our CUCM 6.1, and one of the users wants to have personal speed dials on their Cisco 7940 phone.  First, I configured the personal speed dial according to these steps:

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. ephone phone-tag

4. fastdial dial-tag number name name-string

5. end

Under "Ephone"  I configured username, password and PIN.

And then,when I asked the user to try and see how it goes... he told me that when he selects Personal Directory under Directories button, and enters the username and PIN that I've proveded under the "Ephone" he get's the message "Host not found". (i've added ip http authentication local on the CME)

I'am not sure I the CME now is checking this challenge on the CME local username base, or is checking it against our CUCM.

We've tried with the credentials from the User that I've created on the CUCM for this phone which resides on the CME, but it didn't help. (added

url authentication http:// which was point to our CUCM)

Does anyone have idea what should I check or look after to resolve this, or Personal directories and External Directories are mutually exclusive?

Regards,

Tiberie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If you have pointed your 'directories' URL at the CUCM6 server, this URL points to an XML file that contains the options in your directories menu (except for the received/missied/placed call menus that are from the phoen firmware). Typically this XML file contains Corporate Dir and Personal Dir. You can browse to the URL using IE/Firefox and then view source if it doesn't display correctly.

If you have pointed the directories URL to CUCM6, then this means that the personal and corporate dir entries are being served by CUCM. If the corp dir works, but the personal one doesn't then the URLs must be different in the XML file you browsed to above - maybe using a hostname rather than IP. If this is the case you can just get your DNS setup for the phones fixed up.

The authentication URL is seperate to this - it's used to authenticate unsolicited commands sent to the phones, not for authentication of services on the CME or CUCM. If you point this to the CUCM6 server, it will likely fail EVERY authentication request, as it won't have this handset configured on it, and therefore will not have any users associated to it.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If you have pointed your 'directories' URL at the CUCM6 server, this URL points to an XML file that contains the options in your directories menu (except for the received/missied/placed call menus that are from the phoen firmware). Typically this XML file contains Corporate Dir and Personal Dir. You can browse to the URL using IE/Firefox and then view source if it doesn't display correctly.

If you have pointed the directories URL to CUCM6, then this means that the personal and corporate dir entries are being served by CUCM. If the corp dir works, but the personal one doesn't then the URLs must be different in the XML file you browsed to above - maybe using a hostname rather than IP. If this is the case you can just get your DNS setup for the phones fixed up.

The authentication URL is seperate to this - it's used to authenticate unsolicited commands sent to the phones, not for authentication of services on the CME or CUCM. If you point this to the CUCM6 server, it will likely fail EVERY authentication request, as it won't have this handset configured on it, and therefore will not have any users associated to it.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Thank you very much for you reply.

I've checked the directories URL that is pointing to our CUCM6 and you were right it shows exactly the Personal Directories and Corporate one.

The Corporate Directory is working fine, they (CME side) can access all the entries from our CUCM6. But still, I don't get it why the challange doesn't occur and the user gets the message "Host not found" even when they entered the username and PIN that I have configured for that particular phone under the CUCM. This device addition was part of the process when we configured external directories for the CME users. It has the 7940 as device and the approriate user associated with the phone. Under "End User Configuration" in CUCM, the user is enrolled in the approriate Group and Role so he can access the phone configuration page through Web GUI.

Any other idea that I should check and/or configure?

Thank you!

Hi

If you are getting the userid/pin login screen, then the host is definately 'found' - unless for some reason it starts returning URLs with a hostname. Sometimes the phones don't accurately report the source of the fault either.

The quickest way to see what's going on may be to do a packet trace of the phone. Plug into the PC port and fire up wireshark, you should be able to filter (use ip.addr == 1.1.1.1 where 1.1.1.1 is the phone IP) and replicate the error.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Will try once I get chance. Probably next week. We'll post updates.

Regards and a Happy New Year

Tiberie

Hi Aaron,

I would like to thank you so much for helping me solve this issue! You were right from the beginning.

Yesterday I did a Wireshark trace and found that our CUCM was returning the HTTP request from the phone with the following parametar:

http://Sk-CUCM-2:8080/ccmpd/login.do?sid=C82E7F05D3B76B0677231FE458BBA465

So, as you said, I've added our DNS server under the DHCP pool on the CME, restarted the phone, and it worked like a sharm. The phone now resolves the CUCM hostname.

I hope this post helps others with the same problem.

Regards,

Tiberie

Hi

Glad you have it sorted!

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: