Views
Helpful
Replies

CME with SIP trunk

vanwitt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a CME configured with PSTN in G711 for all phones. Customer wants SIP trunk in G729. Could phones speak G711internally and G729 with SIP calls without involving DSP ressources?

6 Replies 6

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No,

You will need a transcoder. If you hardcode the dial-peer to g729 and set the phones to only do g711...

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

aokanlawon: Perhaps I am mistaken, but isn't G711 the default codec on the phones anyway... but if the incoming SIP calls are G729, the phones should still be able to accept the call without transcoding?

I was not aware of any restriction on mixing codecs, is there documentation on this?

Thanks.

Daniel,

Even though cisco phones support both codecs, they can only work with what is offered/supported. In this scenario one leg can only support one codec and the other leg a different codec, hence a xcoder will be needed..

A simila thread is covered on the forum here..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2172529

The only work around is to configure a voice class codec with both g711 and g729 on the dial-peer..And in this case g711 will be used for the call.

Here is the scenario...

Sip provider advitises

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Ok, so with CME cisco phones cańt support G711 and G729 depending on the origin of the call? So i can set my phones to use G729 and so only transcode to access CUE?

100% correct.

Below is a similar thread where G729 was used on the phone and xcoder used to talk to CUE

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/298808

vanwitt
Level 1
Level 1

Phones dońt support the 2codecs simultaneously?