cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure T1 PRI without CallManager intervention

sergiodovinte
Level 1
Level 1

Let me explain what i want to achieve...

We have a remote site with a "fragile" WAN link. It has a router 2821 with a T1 PRI configured on it.

The T1 is configured with MGCP and when the WAN connection fails, we suffer an outage on the T1 while falling to SRST mode.

Is there any way to configure the T1 on the router with no CallManager intervention in order to prevent this outages?

While in SRST mode the T1 works fine, I want it like that permanently and keep the rest of devices in MGCP...

Maybe there are other ways i'm not considerating to prevent this. Thank you in advance experts!

3 Replies 3

tobin hawkshaw
Level 1
Level 1

why do you need to to be an MGCP gateway? just change it to H323 and your problems are solved no?

There is no call preservation on between MGCP jumping to H323 on failover so you would have to get rid of the MGCP layer 3 binding to your T1 link.

I'm guessing you have it setup with the 'mgcp config server' command. You could try manually configuring the mgcp gateway and leaving out the T1 connection, this should allow you to control it locally on the gatway, you'll obviously need dial-peers pointing back to the CUCM over the WAN link and you will also have to bind H323 to a different interface (a looopback would be good) than the gateway is using to register with CUCM as its MGCP address.

hth

dijohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Couple of options here.

++ Move to H323 for T1/E1 Calls

++ Move to a CME SETUP (Phones registered to CME, Dialpeers to CUCM)

How fragile is the link? Bandwidth wise or Link Flaps?.

HTH

PS Rate only useful posts.

Hi there and thanks for your answer.

**Move to H323 for T1/E1 Calls*** ---> Yep, I'm going to try to configure the gateway as H323 and create the apropiate dial-peers and see what happens...

**Move to a CME SETUP (Phones registered to CME, Dialpeers to CUCM)** ---> I'd like to have the phones registered to CallManager because of the use of Extension Mobility and the CSQ's configured on the CRS. If the link goes down and phones register to the router won't be problem as long as the T1 will be managed directly by the router itself. I mean, the T1 must preserve its status and functionallity without any alteration if the WAN link fails, that's what we want.

**How fragile is the link? Bandwidth wise or Link Flaps?** ---> Link Flaps. I have a continuous ping and my best times are 150 -170 ms from the HQ to the remote site. If the VPN losses a couple of packets (ex: renegotiation) the T1 falls and unregisters from the CM and then it registers again. We are now replicating this WAN link to prevent connectivity issues and have a backup.