cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CP-8945 factory reset not working

dsouders
Level 1
Level 1

Bought an 8945 from eBay trying to get working in my home lab and it won't register.  Packet captures show its requesting SEP<macaddress>.cnf.xml.sgn which tells me I need to delete the CTL/ITL file.  When I press the settings button (the cog wheel) Administrator Settings does not show in the display so I tried to follow the manual method of factory resetting the phone from the 8941/8945 admin guide.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8941_8945/9_0/english/admin_guide/P415_BK_C1A45FBB_00_admin-guide-8941-8945/P415_BK_C1A45FBB_00_admin-guide-8941-8945_chapter_01001.html#P415_TK_PA975AEE_00

Step 1 -- While powering up the phone, press and hold #.

Step 2 -- When the light on the mute button and handset light strip turns off and all other lights (line button, headset button, speakerphone button and select button) stay green, press 123456789*0# in sequence.

When you press 1, the lights on the line buttons turn red. The light on the select button flash when a button is pressed.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the lights on the line button, headset button, speakerphone button, and select button turn green. You will need to start over and press 123456789*0# in sequence again.

After you press these buttons, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

Do not power down the phone until it completes the factory reset process, and the main screen appears.

I follow step 1 and hold # while the phone boots up. The headset and speaker lights turn green, line 1 turns red, display is dark, and it stays like that.  After about 20 seconds the screen flashes white while the headset and speaker button flash off then on again, but again the phone doesn't do anything else.  If I remain holding # it'll go through this flash sequence again after another 20 seconds.  The mute button and the handset light strip (is that the MWI light?) don't do anything nor does the select button.

Am, I missing something in this procedure?  I entered the 123456789*0# sequence after this first flash sequence but the phone booted as normal and still wouldn't register.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I see no mention of unplugging the LAN cable. Please follow these steps as per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8941_8945/10_0/english/admin_guide/P415_BK_AA30369C_00_adminguide-8941-8945-10_0/P415_BK_AA30369C_00_adminguide-8941-8945-10_0_chapter_01101.html#CUIP_TK_P82949A2_00

Step 1  Unplug the phone:
  • If using PoE, unplug the LAN cable.
  • If using the power cube, unplug the power cube.
Step 2  Wait 5 seconds.
Step 3  Press and hold # and plug the phone back in.
Step 4  When the light on the Mute button and handset light strip turns off and all other lights (Line button, Headset button, Speakerphone button, and Select button) stay green, press 123456789*0# in sequence.

When you press 1, the lights on the line buttons turn red. The light on the Select button flashes when a button is pressed.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the lights on the line button, headset button, speakerphone button, and Select button turn green. You need to start over and press 123456789*0# in sequence again.

After you press these buttons, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

This will depend entirely on the firmware you are using.  

I am currently using SIP 9.3(1)SR4 and the "traditional" factory-reset of 123456789*0# does not work or disabled.  The only way to perform a factory reset is using the "soft key" method.  

For 88XX, press Applications and choose Administrator Settings > Reset Settings > All.

For 79XX, press Settings, "unlock" by pressing **# and look at the lower right-hand corner of the screen and you should see an option called "Erase".  Choose this.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I see no mention of unplugging the LAN cable. Please follow these steps as per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8941_8945/10_0/english/admin_guide/P415_BK_AA30369C_00_adminguide-8941-8945-10_0/P415_BK_AA30369C_00_adminguide-8941-8945-10_0_chapter_01101.html#CUIP_TK_P82949A2_00

Step 1  Unplug the phone:
  • If using PoE, unplug the LAN cable.
  • If using the power cube, unplug the power cube.
Step 2  Wait 5 seconds.
Step 3  Press and hold # and plug the phone back in.
Step 4  When the light on the Mute button and handset light strip turns off and all other lights (Line button, Headset button, Speakerphone button, and Select button) stay green, press 123456789*0# in sequence.

When you press 1, the lights on the line buttons turn red. The light on the Select button flashes when a button is pressed.

If you press the buttons out of sequence, the lights on the line button, headset button, speakerphone button, and Select button turn green. You need to start over and press 123456789*0# in sequence again.

HTH

Manish

Oops.  I guess I hit the wrong button, didn't mean to mark this as the correct answer since this procedure didn't work.

Even i am not sure how to reverse that, maybe you can open a new post for the same issue with the updated information.

Manish

This will depend entirely on the firmware you are using.  

I am currently using SIP 9.3(1)SR4 and the "traditional" factory-reset of 123456789*0# does not work or disabled.  The only way to perform a factory reset is using the "soft key" method.  

For 88XX, press Applications and choose Administrator Settings > Reset Settings > All.

For 79XX, press Settings, "unlock" by pressing **# and look at the lower right-hand corner of the screen and you should see an option called "Erase".  Choose this.

Hope this helps.

I was eventually able to reset the phone through the Administrator Settings, but I had to use a power-brick for that menu option to be available.  As I mentioned in my original post, while on POE on my home lab network, Administrator Settings was missing.  I took the phone to work and used a power brick and was able to reset it.

For some reason while on POE on my lab network I couldn't get to Administrator Settings.  Using the power-brick unlocked the Administrator Settings and I was able to initiate a reset from the menu.  I'll take it back home and connect to my lab and it should hopefully register now.

dsouders
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  That's a slightly different procedure than the one I found.

I now tried a power-brick.  I hold the # button while while I plug it into power.  The same results happen as before.  The line 1 button remains red, headset and speaker remain red, about every 20 seconds the screen flashes but otherwise doesn't do anything else.  If I continue with the 123456789*0# sequence, the phone ignore it and it boots as normal.

I just can't seem to find a way to factory reset this phone.  Or maybe its defective?