cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating 88xx screen saver for the Enterprise

Scuromano
Level 1
Level 1

I need to deploy a screen saver for the whole network, all 88xx phones.  Do I need to resize the image? Can it use png images?  Based on some other posts, I trired but the test phone goes into the Idle timout and looks for the URL but it says "Idle Application  Host not found."  So, obviously, something's not right. I tried with png, jpg and bmp images, not modified, and non worked.  Any recent, explanatory docs on this?

This is the URL I'm using in the phone config page Idle field: tftp://192.168.1.10/TFTP/Desktops/640x480x24/Sample1.bmp

2 Replies 2

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

Hope you are planning for idle display not the custom background images. Are you using Multiplatform 8800 phones.

Below is the procedure for Idle display

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/42573-idle-url.html

Set Up Idle Display

You can specify an idle display (text only; text file size should not exceed 1M bytes) that appears on the phone screen. The idle display is an XML service that the phone invokes when the phone is idle (not in use) for a designated period and no feature menu is open.

For detailed instructions about creating and displaying the idle display, see Creating Idle URL Graphics on Cisco IP Phone at this URL:

http:/​/​www.cisco.com/​en/​US/​products/​sw/​voicesw/​ps556/​products_​tech_​note09186a00801c0764.shtml

In addition, see the documentation for your particular Cisco Unified Communications Manager release for the following information:

• Specifying the URL of the idle display XML service:

• For a single phone: Idle field in the Phone Configuration window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

• For multiple phones simultaneously: URL Idle field in the Enterprise Parameters Configuration window, or the Idle field in the Bulk Administration Tool (BAT)

• Specifying the length of time that the phone is not used before the idle display XML service is invoked:

• For a single phone: Idle Timer field in the Phone configuration window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

• For multiple phones simultaneously: URL Idle Time field in the Enterprise Parameters Configuration window, or the Idle Timer field in the Bulk Administration Tool (BAT)

Procedure
Step 1   In Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, select Device > Phone
Step 2   In the Idle field, enter the URL to the idle display XML Service.
Step 3   In the Idle Timer field, enter the time that the idle phone waits before displaying the idle display XML service.
Step 4   Select Save.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Thanks for the response.  I looked at that document previously and it is for CCM 4.x, which is why I posted. Plus, the link to the utility/app for changing the image to xml is not there anymore.  What utility/app do I use to create an xml image file?  When you say "text only," does that mean you can't use a regular image file?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: