cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE HA with SCCP CFB

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

Is it possible to have a conference dspfarm profile on an HA CUBE associated to sccp back to cucm? It's registering but conference attempts fail. Alternatively, is there any way to associate application cube on a dspfarm profile conference and have cucm endpoints be able to initiate the conference?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There is no separate IOS for CUBE alone. The same IOS is used for voice gateways as well or in fact CUBE (non-HA). Removing those commands would affect other deployments. I agree regarding the cube application association. It should not be there for conference profiles.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Both not supported. LTI is for transcoding only.

Figured. Although it IS frustrating that ios allows 'ass app sccp' under a 'dspfarm profile conference' and also 'ass app cube'. The sccp cfb registers to cucm, but it doesn't actually work and cube's not invoking the conference so understandably the lti cfb wouldn't actually do anything other than annoy me. Seems like shoddy development on both counts.

There is no separate IOS for CUBE alone. The same IOS is used for voice gateways as well or in fact CUBE (non-HA). Removing those commands would affect other deployments. I agree regarding the cube application association. It should not be there for conference profiles.

That's fair. Still frustrating, but at least understandable I guess. Thanks for confirming.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DSP farms on HA enabled CUBE are just fine, only one of the 2 will register with CUCM for example though from the active CUBE and it should work fine. Both need to use the same name, and you are wasting the DSPs on the inactive CUBE, but they do work.  If they registered, but did not work perhaps they were not assigned to correct MRG or are not configured with correct codecs, etc.

Yes Deren they can be configured and used but this is not supported when using a CUBE HA. The restriction is stated in the CUBE book -

All SCCP-based media resources (Conference bridge, Transcoding, HW MTP, and SW MTP) are not supported with Cisco Unified Border Element High Availability.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-dsp.html

Hi Chris. Sorry for the delay. The registration and codec configs look fine. Here is the first few lines of the output of a 'deb sccp all' on the active cube while invoking the conference:
*Jul 9 12:27:46.940: sccpapp_process_socket_events: appl_type 3, soc_fd 0, soc 0, swb_soc -1
*Jul 9 12:27:46.941: sccpapp_process_socket_events: TCP_SOCKET_READ: appl_type 3, eve 4, state 6
*Jul 9 12:27:46.941: sccp_get_control_message: bytes_to_read 8, bytes_read 8, appl_total_bytes 8, appl_bytes_read 8, soc_read_mode 0, soc 0
*Jul 9 12:27:46.941: sccp_get_control_message: bytes_to_read 136, bytes_read 136, appl_total_bytes 136, appl_bytes_read 136, soc_read_mode 1, soc 0
*Jul 9 12:27:46.941: sccp_get_control_message: sccp cntl msg rcvd, prof_id 2, appl_type 3, msg_len 136
*Jul 9 12:27:46.941: sccp_spi_ha_is_not_ready_to_handle_new_msg: sccp_spi_ha_is_not_ready_to_handle_new_msg

Sccp and the dspf profile both are up and good. Should have stated that this is an asr1001x running Denali 16.3.5. I'm calling it though. A-it's unsupported & B-it doesn't work. I certainly appreciate the help though.

I've read that as well as your replies earlier. Your previous reply of "All SCCP-based media resources (Conference bridge, Transcoding, HW MTP, and SW MTP) are not supported with Cisco Unified Border Element High Availability." conflicts with at least one other Cisco doc though (https://cisco.app.box.com/v/CUBE >> CUBE ENT High Availability Options on ASR1k Platform.pdf) which has a configuration for SCCP MTP dspfarm configs on an ASR1k. That doc also states: "CUBE and SWMTP can be co-located on the same ACTIVE router after IOS-XE 3.6".

With the conflicting documentation, I'd say that it's normal to challenge the limits. If SCCP MTP is supported, maybe SCCP CFB is as well. ...or at least that was my thought process. It's safe to say that SCCP CFB (regardless of official support) is not working even though you can configure and register the dspfarm profile and all show command output indicates that it 'should' work.

That is software MTP. Software resources DO NOT use DSP's. That same doc highlights that hardware MTP is NOT supported on ASR platform.
You can have SW MTP on CUBE HA whether it is ASR or ISR but that wasn't the original question.

Also, it should be a good practice to highlight the devices in use in your initial posts so that the responses are specific since there are multiple platforms hosting CUBE.

I will quote it again - "SPA DSP on ASR will do only Xcoding and that is LTI only". Nothing else. I understand your concern related to the conference profile getting registered. You can open up a PER through your AM if you feel that is something that should be removed from future ASR XE releases.