Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 10.5 to 11.5 Upgrade

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Everyone,

I am planning an upgrade for our CUCM cluster (9 servers) and 2 HA Unity Connection clusters. A total of 13 servers.  I would be gratefull if I could get answer to few questions I have:

1) In order to ensure a quick rool back in case of faulure, I am planning to take snapshot of each server before starting the upgrade. Looks like the snapshot of the CUCM VM is not supported. The cloning is supported but needs to be taken when the server is off which is not going to be an option for us. I took an snapshot in the lab, did the upgrade and retourned to the snapshot with no issues. Do you guys think the sanpshot would cause problems?

3) After installing the upgrade in the Publisher, can I go ahead and start installing the upgrade in all subscribers at the sametime or I hve to do them one by one?

2) We have 4 UCCX 11.6 (HA) clusters (8 servers) which is intégraded with CUCM 10.5. Do I need to manualy download the JTAPI from CUCM 11.5 and install in each UCCX server after upgrading the CUCM to 11.5?

3) Any additional considerations ragarding CUCM and UC upgrade from 10.5 to 11.5?

Thanks,

MK

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

11.X is an EOL announced version. i would recommend to move to 12.5.

AFAIK, snapshot are not recommended. For a recent update with SU4 ungraceful shutdown warning, tac recommended  snapshot when servers are off.

You can consider PCD for upgrading. You can schedule, automate the upgrade using PCD.

Reading the Upgrade  and migrations guides, release notes etc before you plan the upgrade. it cover all required information for a successful upgrade.

Response Signature

Hi Nithin,

Thank you for taking the time and replying.

Based on the following document, the CUCM VM snapshot is not supported at all. Even if the server is Off.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html#copy_vm

Do you have an answer for my 3rd question regarding the UCCX?

Thanks,

MK

Snapshots has never been an supported option for any Cisco UC systems. It can cause severe service impact and will be the very first thing TAC would ask you to check if you have a need for help.

Regarding JTAPI and CCX, once you have upgraded CM you would go into the admin webUI in CCX and run the update of JTAPI. No need to download anything. Once completed you would need to restart the CCX engine on each node in your HA cluster.

As @Nithin Eluvathingal recommend updating to an EOL announced version is not a good idea. Better to go to 12.5 instead. Either way I would also recommend you to use PCD to accommodate the upgrades as it would run them in the correct sequence and also it has scheduling options for you to run the upgrade during off hours for your service without human intervention.

Response Signature

Roger,

Regarding the UCCX JTAPI update, are talking about in UCCX going to:

Subsystems - Cisco Unified CM Telephony - Cisco JTAPI Resync

and run a JTAP Resync?

Thanks,

MK

Yes 

Response Signature

Snapshot is not a recommended option. 

For SU4 ungraceful shutdown warning, as per the  below thread TAC recommended snapshot during OFF.You may need to verify this with TAC.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-applications/warning-ungraceful-shutdown-detected-gt-gt-cucm-v12-5-su4/td-p/4412486

Regarding your third question, Im not good   in UCCX. 

Response Signature