cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 5.1 migration to CUCM 8.x BE

pcanters
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out how to migrate from CUCM 5.X/Unity standalone to new hardware for CUCM 8.X/Unity Business Edition ( Coresident)

I believe that Unity will be a cobras but I am not sure if I can take a backup from a standalone CUCM an move it into a database structure that is a BE version

Has anyone done anything like this or have any insight in how I can best get from CUCM 5.x to 8.X with new hardware/BE version ?

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no upgrade path to/from standalone CUCM to CUCMBE for CUCM part.

There's no tool to migrate the data other than BAT.

The easiest way would be to get both systems to 8.X to just export/import.

Otherwise massage the data to make it compliant with the 8.X format as the 5.X data won't be accepted as is because there have been many changes and fields added.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no upgrade path to/from standalone CUCM to CUCMBE for CUCM part.

There's no tool to migrate the data other than BAT.

The easiest way would be to get both systems to 8.X to just export/import.

Otherwise massage the data to make it compliant with the 8.X format as the 5.X data won't be accepted as is because there have been many changes and fields added.

HTH

java

HTH

java

What about a migration from cucm 6.x BE to 8.x BE and than to 8.5 BE ? I can`t find any upgrade path/guide for this. A guide for 7.x BE to 8.x BE would be helpful ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7273/prod_installation_guides_list.html )

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here ...

Version Support

The following is a table of support version paths – for Unity restores of a Unity backup the rule is you must restore it to the same version of Unity or later.  You cannot backup, say, Unity 5.0 and restore it onto a Unity 4.0(5) installation.  Newer data objects and conversations etc… cannot be restored into the older database so this is not allowed.

Backed Up Version

Can be Restored To:

Unity 4.0(5)

Unity 4.0(5), 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 7.0, 8.0, Connection 7.x or   8.0 or 8.5

Unity 4.1

Unity 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 7.0, 8.0, Connection 7.x or 8.0 or   8.5

Unity 4.2

Unity 4.2, 5.0, 7.0, 8.0, Connection 7.x or 8.0 or 8.5

Unity 5.0

Unity 5.0, 7.0, 8.0, Connection 7.x or 8.0 or 8.5

Unity 7.0

Unity 7.0, 8.0, Connection 7.x or 8.0 or 8.5

Unity 8.0

Unity 8.0, Connection 7.x or 8.0 or 8.5

Connection 1.2

Connection 7.x or 8.0 or 8.5

Connection 7.0

Connection 7.0 or 7.1 or 8.0 or 8.5

Connection 7.1

Connection 7.1 or 8.0 or 8.5

Connection 8.0

Connection 8.0 or 8.5

Connection 8.5

Connection 8.5

NOTE: Restores to Connection 7.x or later are supported only for stand alone installations – you cannot import backups into a co-resident (Business Edition) installations.  You can do exports from a co-resident installation however, so you can migrate a co-resident to a stand alone server if you like.

NOTE: Unrestricted versions of Connection (those that lack high encryption capabilities) cannot allow message exports using COBRAS because the super user IMAP access needed by COBRAS for this works only over TLS/SSL which is not supported on unrestricted versions.  Messages can only be extracted remotely from restricted (standard) versions of Unity Connection.

Some important things to notice in this table:

• You      cannot backup any version of Connection and restore it to any version of      Unity.
  • No      Unity version older than 4.0(5) will ever be supported with COBRAS.  The database interfaces used  were not      complete before the 4.0(5) release.
  • There      is no backup option for Connection 2.0 or 2.1.  Off box access to resources necessary      was not included in those releases.
  • You      cannot restore a newer Unity backup onto an older Unity install.  Only the same or newer versions can be      restored to.  The same applies to      Connection backups and restores as well of course.
  • Please      review the information about what data you may lose when going across      versions/products in the following sections carefully. 

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc276653817

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks for the quick response all....especially from the support forum legends like rob.huffman and jvalenc ( do you guys have real jobs too ?)

My fault, I was not clear enough.

It's actually a standalone version of Unity Connection going to a BE version of Unity Connection...same goes for CUCM(5.x to 8.x)

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

WOW ...legends I wouldn't go that far!

Sadly, you are going in the wrong direction here for COBRAS to work;

NOTE: Restores to Connection 7.x or later are supported only for stand alone installations – you cannot import backups into a co-resident (Business Edition) installations.  You can do exports from a co-resident installation however, so you can migrate a co-resident to a stand alone server if you like.

This will be mostly a "new" re-build. You should be able to use the BAT export

(with some tweaking) for your CUCM phone migration to the new BE build.

Cheers!

Rob

PS: yes, both Java and I have full time jobs but try to spend a little free time @ CSC

on most days

Easiest way for phones is to export per phone model using the export all details.

Configure a sample phone from same model in 8.X with the common settings you want and also export it with the all details options.

Now you have a sample from the 8.X system with all the new fields already filled in with valid values.

It's just a matter now of copying the data from the 5.X file to the 8.X and the values you don't have, use the ones from the sample phone.

At least that has worked for me in my labs and avoids having to check the model of every phone to get valid values if you export all phones at once.

I'm still far from being a legend like Rob, I mean, they had to create new badges because of him.

I do have a day job with the PDI Help Desk and I'm sorry to say I don't spend as much time as before in CSC because I have a lot to juggle with these days.

HTH

java

HTH

java

and which is the best way to migrate from cucm 6.x BE to 8.0 BE and than to 8.5 BE?

Upgrade process is the same for a BE and for a standalone, there is no special procedure.

Just look at the compatibility matrix for a path and get the right media for this.

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43011

Not sure if 6.X is still available for ordering, if not, order a 7.X version from which you can jump to 8.0 or 8.5 directly.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Ok, so you mean for example if i have a MCS-7828-I4 with call manager BE 6.0 i can migrate in steps to 8.0 BE ( regarding this matrix http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html )

And i can use this document -> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_0_1/cucos/iptpch7.html to migrate, although this document is for non business edition?