Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Cluster implementation

jones.jack
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts

i have a big customer who have (one pub and one sub) one unity conn and one CUP , all version are v8.6  . All systems are working so well.

The customer asked us for a cluster for 10,000 phones , so our presales team helped him for a solution which will be like as the below:-

1-CUCM Pub.

1-CUCM TFTP.

3- 5* CUCM sub.

all these servers are the same version of the old.

My questions are:-

1-What is the perfect plan to backup configuration from the running system  to the new system ?.

2-What is the most perfect solution to configure  new cluster?.This is my first time to configure some thing like that , some friends told me that only backup from the old solution and restore to the new system , after that all will be ok , but i do not understand how can i divide my configuration through t7 servers.

Thanks

24 Replies 24

hello

I understand that , but you add CCM 6 to group 2 , can you clarrify?. last question Backup configuration from  old system  will be restored  to subscriber severs only or PUB also for new servers !.

Thanks

That was a typo, I changed it.

Chris

Hello

last question Backup configuration from  old system  will be restored  to subscriber severs only or PUB also for new servers !.How can i define for 10,000 TFTP server which is not located on the same server , is this will be manually , as you know TFTP is responsible for firmware of Cisco IP phones , etc.

Thanks

When you restore the database with DRS you have a choice to restore it only on the Pub or all other subs.  I am suggesting that you only restore the publisher as that is the master database which includes all configuration.  Then once you add other servers the configuration is replicated to them.

Remember that when you restore the DB onto new server it has to use the same hostname/IP address of the publisher, so you will most likely need to do that in isolated network or have longer (weekend) cutover window. 

There is nothing to worry about as far as TFTP is concerned, since you are changing the TFTP server all you are doing is just updating your DHCP scope and reset the phones, once the phones obtain the new scope they will contact the new TFTP server and download the new firmware that comes with the upgrade as well as they will get updated configuration as they will be properly defined in the new Pub after the database restore.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks chris , you make it so simple for me . I have already configured 1000 devices with all things and all integrations , but customer needs downtime= 0 for new 10000 . i will do the below , please advise

1- I will restore the my conf to my pub.

2- I will add my servers . Test replication of DB between servers

3- I will configure my DHCP servers and subnets on my sub publisher or call processing.

4-i will configure my groups ,after that i will create my device pools , gw , etc...

5-Test and troubleshooting.

I am so sorry for my many questions and i have taken a  long  time form your time.

thanks

Sounds like a plan.  Good luck.

Chris

Thanks , i will update you if i have any issue. Really good support , thanks again.

Hi

I hope to find the below link which will help you , before you will start your implementation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmsys/a02clstr.html

I am sure that will be so simple  after the great discussion with an expert like Mr/Chris.

Thank you

Hi Jack,

As Mr. Chris has said, build CUCM groups to have 1:1 or 2:1 redundancy.

Further,you can also use server to have MOH/CTI/Media Resources functionality.

regds,

aman

amanso

based on our design , i think i will need on pub and two sub because i've 10,000 IP phones , How can i use server as back up server ?. I will use my servers as below

1*pub

2*sub

1*TFTP

1*call processing

2*backup

How can i configure (TFTP server , call processing server , backup server) , How can Cisco IP phone distinguish between 7 servers? .

Thanks