cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Configuration steps

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

I'd like to document our 8.5 installation in the lab so that we can speed up the process for future CUCM installs.

I have the platform build done, but when it comes to the CM configuration, I find myself bouncing around from section to section a lot more than I should.  With all the route groups/lists/patterns and gateway configurations and their individual dependencies on one another, I find it hard to just start with one section, then push through to the end without doubling back a LOT saying, "oh yeah, I have to configure this first, then I can go back to this".

It's a little frustrating and makes it hard to feel like I have a strong grip on the CM configuration.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ven

Ven Taylor
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ven,

I hear you. The first thing to work out is your process. We have a big ol' excel workbook that has tabs for the various dial plan objects and a separate one with the non-dial plan configs. Our goal is to have the tabs set up so as you move from left to right, you are minimizing the jumping around. When you get to the last tab, you're done.

In 8.x releases, I think it is better to work out a method for building bulk import files and then you use BAT to import your entire configuration.  The more standard your design approach is, the easier this will be.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

Hi Ven,

If you used the Import/Export option to retrieve your .tar file, when you upload the initial .tar file to CUCM you will choose the 'Import/Export' option you see in the list.

After that point, you will be able to use the Import option and select the actual configuration target based on the contents of your .tar file.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ven,

I hear you. The first thing to work out is your process. We have a big ol' excel workbook that has tabs for the various dial plan objects and a separate one with the non-dial plan configs. Our goal is to have the tabs set up so as you move from left to right, you are minimizing the jumping around. When you get to the last tab, you're done.

In 8.x releases, I think it is better to work out a method for building bulk import files and then you use BAT to import your entire configuration.  The more standard your design approach is, the easier this will be.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Beat me to it Bill, +5!

Bill:

That sounds interesting.

I didn't even know you could use BAT to import CM configs.

Is there any documentation you can think of that I can RTFM?

Thanks!

Ven

Ven Taylor

Ven,

You sure can. Cisco added this into the mix in the 7.x release train. For your version, I would start with this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/bat/8_5_1/t13cnftl.html

The basic idea is that you have a bunch of csv files with the various settings. You have a csv for each object type (ie. one for partitions, one for css, etc.). When importing, you have a header file which describes the csv files and you package all of this up in a tar ball.

BAT reads the header file, processes the csv files, and if all is well will program the cucm configs based on what you have provided.

You can also selectively export objects into csv so that you have a sample to work from.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks Bill !!!

That was the kick I needed.  I went to bulk admin, and lo and behold, there was the import/export button.

I just exported everything.  Once I fixed the permissions on the files, I was able to import each necessary csv into an excel tab.

Now I can do just as you said.  Go from left to right, making any changes and then it's done!

Ven

Ven Taylor

Ven,

No problem. Glad to be of assistance.

Regards,

Bill

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ven,

A while back in the 3.x/4.x days you could start from the top left in Call Manager (System/Server) and work you way down the menu, then once you're finished that tab you could move to the next tab and work your way down, etc.  You can get some items accomplished using this (such as date/time groups, device pools, CCM groups, etc.) however you're going to still be bouncing around a lot with gateways, etc..  The best advice I could offer is to try to standardize as much as you can in .csv files and utilize CUCM's import/export feature.  This will give you the most efficient way of updating and installing CUCM in my opinion.

HTH,

Chris

Chris:

I just tried to do an upload.  However, I'm a little confused again.

I downloaded every configuration as a tar file.  Opened it, and found all these CSV's in it.

Some of the CSV's have cryptic names, like aargroup.csv

When uploading files, CUCM has a very specific list of "Targets".

Do each of these CSV's fall into a specific target?

thanks!

Ven

Ven Taylor

Hi Ven,

When you use the Import tool you will need to create another .tar file (including the header file that you got from the original .tar file before making your adjustments) and when you Import the .tar file, you will select the checkboxes of what you want to update in CUCM based on what was in the .tar file (ex, Phones, users, etc).

HTH,

Chris

Hmm... I tried that, but it gave me the following:

I was expecting a kind of "everything" target.

Should I just choose the Import/Export target?

Ven Taylor

Hi Ven,

If you used the Import/Export option to retrieve your .tar file, when you upload the initial .tar file to CUCM you will choose the 'Import/Export' option you see in the list.

After that point, you will be able to use the Import option and select the actual configuration target based on the contents of your .tar file.

HTH,

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bill,

As Ven nicely noted "Thank You!" +5 for this info Your methodology

is always something I greatly admire!

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks, Rob. Means a lot coming from the Huffster.

-Bill