Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM insufficient number of licenses

Hello, we are added one phone to the CUCM , after that we get message - Smart Software Licensing: The system is operating with an insufficient number of licenses Configure additional licenses in Smart Software Manager within 83 days to avoid losing the ability to provision users and devices. what should we do now ? after 83 days only one user will be denied or what ?  Can anyone explain about  - UC managed enhanced license (12.X) - and what kind of devices can use taht license ? 

Thank you .

1.PNG2.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CUCM licensing is user based on device based, depending on type of licenses you have CUWL vs. Enhanced Plus vs Enhanced, etc allows you to have 1 or more devices assigned to a user.  So, if any of the users have multiple devices and you have CUWL or Enhanced Plus licenses you can assign multiple phones to that user and system will only use 1 license.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are still out of compliance after the grace period expires then you will not be able to make any changes to the system, i..e add new phones, update phones, etc. unit you resolve the licensing issue.  Operationally everything will continue to work.

To answer one of your questions. 

UC managed enhanced license (12.X) - and what kind of devices can use taht license ?

Old but still holds up https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-licensing/C45_523902_11_9_licensing_aag_v5a_1.pdf

• Enhanced UCL and Enhanced Plus UCL: User-based licenses for individual Cisco Unified Communications products that support Cisco’s entire
portfolio of user devices. They each include a soft client, applications server software, and user licensing. Enhanced UCL covers a single device, and
Enhanced Plus allows for two. The licenses also provide on-premises instant messaging clients and presence software for the entire organization.
Table 1 describes the four levels of UCL.

Go through and audit your CUCM config do you have phones that can be deleted if so that can bring you back into compliance. If not you need to buy more licenses and assign them to the same virtual account.

Thank you for answering.

we have the UC Manager Enhanced License (12.x) in DEFAULT that shows us in CUCM out of compliance. The company which setup this CUCM says that the telephone which you add thy must have a license. But in CUCM I see we have 64 license space and we out of 2. Is this license for 64 devices ? or is phones must have license which came with itself?   

1.PNG

Every phone you build in CUCM has to have a license.

If you have 66 phones and 64 licenses that is a problem.  You have two options buy more license or delete phones off CUCM. 

CUCM licensing is user based on device based, depending on type of licenses you have CUWL vs. Enhanced Plus vs Enhanced, etc allows you to have 1 or more devices assigned to a user.  So, if any of the users have multiple devices and you have CUWL or Enhanced Plus licenses you can assign multiple phones to that user and system will only use 1 license.

Chris helpful as always... However I was trying to keep it simple for them because they only have 1 enhanced plus license. Everything else is enhance which is one for one.

The multiple licenses to users is done via the owner id field when you build a phone in CUCM. 

If you were off the mark by 1 I would say you could fix it by assigning the owner user id field to two phones for the same user but since your over more than that, I stick with my original comment that you have to buy more licenses or delete phone from cucm.

Please mark post as helpful or answer as solved to help others in the community.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: