Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM on vmware - backup issue.

Rajan R
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

We have deployed CUCM 8.6 on esxi 5.0. There is no vCenter. I got to know we can shutdown the cucm guest and "export the ovf template". Is this the right way of doing it ? Incase of a server failure can we load this backup into a different server running esxi 5.0 ?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Hi

My advice would be to use the standard CCM DRF backup tool. That avoids any complexity from VMware, or your lack of VMware experience - if you want to do a restore you just build the server from media and restore the backup as you would any other server.

Those DRF backups will be smaller than backing up a whole server's disk files as well.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

+5 to both the above posts.  Also to point make sure you're aware.

VMware vCenter is:

• Mandatory for all Specs-based deployments
  • Optional for Tested Reference Configuration deployments.

We do have regular DRF backups. I am sure you will know restoring the CM from VM is much faster then rebuilding it hence the question.

Hi

From above link provided. You can use Copy feature of VM to effectively provide a method to do full system backup/restore.

Copying a Virtual Machine (VM) copies both the virtual server  configuration and the workload (UC OS and application) running on that  virtual server to a file on networked shared storage. This allows VMs to  be copied, then subsequently modified or shut down. This feature  effectively provides a method to do full system backup/restore, take  system images or revert changes to software versions, user data and  configuration changes.

• Prior to copying, the VM must first be shutdown (which will shut down the virtual server, the UC OS and the UC application).
  • If uploading a VM copy as a “whole system restore”, clustered  UC applications such as CUCM will probably require their replication to  be manually “fixed” via a CLI command.

But I also suggest you to keep DRS back of the system in case of issue with VMware feature.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate Helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

We did try this. The CUCM was restored but the services did not come up for around 4 hours after which everything was working fine.

Hi

I would say before doing the copy operation see if the DB replication status of the cluster is good.

regards

Ronak patel

Rate helpful posts.

Thanks a lot Ronak. There is no cluster. And, when you say copy, is it browsing the datastore and copying it or shutting the VM down and exporting it ? And will browsing the datastore and copying the folder work as well for a restore ?

Regards

Varadarajan.R

Hi

It is shutting the VM down and exporting it . We do not support browsing the datastore and copying it.

Reagrds

Ronak Patel

Rate all Helpful posts.

Thanks again Ronak. One more thing, what about the compression rate ? Say I have a 400 GB disk allocated, will the backup be of 400 gb or does it use only the size occupied by actual data ?

Thanks

VR

Hi,

It will definately not 400 GB of data, It will be much less.

Regards
Ronak Patel

Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Hi,

Sorry, old thread I know. But curious to see documentation regarding this.

I dont think it's clear.

From my reading of the docs, I thought shutdown, browse data store and copy files to PC, then upload to new ESXi host, and import into inventory.

I thought that should be supported?

To change adapters we are allowed to modify vmx file download, upload and then re-import the machine into inventory for example. The copy operation above is quite similar.

The other option is File > Export OVF, then File > Deploy OVA on the new ESXi.

Curious about both those scenarios and their real support.

Cheers,

Tim