Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Setup for conference calls

Daniel5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Please I need your advice with regards to an issue with setting up our CUCM.

We want to setup our Cisco unified communication manager to be able to make external call and also configure conference bridge for conference calls.

The only issue we have is that we don't want go through the E1 line route because of the recurrent cost on the channels. The minimum number of channels we can get in this region is 10 channels and we only need 2 channels. This means we will be paying for 8 channels not in use.

Basically we need a different solution that is cost effective and will always allow us make conference calls.

I am available for any questions.

Thanks

13 Replies 13

To start, the IP Voice Media Streaming App service will provide software conference resources to your cluster. It is software, so all devices must be using the G711 codec, but it is free and easy to use.

If you need something on-prem that is hardware based (multi-codec), you can install DSPs on a local router and configure them to provide conference resources.

If you need something bigger or more powerful, Cisco has a series of appliances that can provide conference resources in-house. Contact your Cisco rep for help in selecting the right system for your enterprise.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions please feel free to post.

Maren

Please will the IP Voice Media Streaming App service allow us to make calls and conference calls to/from the PSTN?

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
If I understand you correctly you want a conferencing solution to be hosted on-prem but do not want to use up your E1 circuits when the users dial-in ?
I am not sure how cost effective you want this to be but you can look into CMS for that. You can talk to a UC specialized Cisco Partner to give you a quote etc on that.

P.S. - If I misunderstood your post, you can disregard this suggestion.

Hello Nipun, we just want a solution that will allow us make make conference voice calls to and from the PSTN. I think that is what i omitted in my question

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not sure what it is that you're asking here.

CUCM provides a SW CFB that can handle G.711, that's free (I'm assuming your CUCM is already properly licensed) and you just need to configure it.

It seems your question is on how to get calls from/to the PSTN which is cost effective, which is something YOU would need to look into with the local telcos/ISPs to find out what they can provide to your location and that you deem to be cost effective for your needs.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yes I mean how to get calls and conference from/to the PSTN which is cost effective.

All of the methods I mentioned above can include PSTN callers. PSTN callers can be included in conference calls either by having an internal caller conference in a PSTN call, or by having MeetMe or Conference Now numbers configured as DID numbers.

Please how can we achieve the second suggestion. Kindly explain more.

"Conference Now numbers configured as DID numbers"

I meant that you can configure the Conference Now IVR pilot number as a DID number so external callers can join conference calls directly, rather than having to call an operator and be transferred in to the pilot.

HTH

Maren

Okay, I understand what you mean, but how do we setup the connection to the PSTN?

If you mean that you don't currently have PSTN access for your enterprise, that is a much longer discussion...

If you asking how to set the CN IVR to a DID number, you would assign the IVR number in the same way you would assign any DID number that would go to a user's desk number. Does that answer what you are asking?

For clarification, Conference Now is used when people will be dialing in to a conference call.

For ad-hoc conference calls, where internal users will be dialing out to external parties to join them into a conference call, that is a standard ad-hoc conference call. All you would need to do is add conference bridge resources (software or hardware) to your system. If the user initiating the call has access to the conference bridge and can dial out to the external user, they can add that user to a conference call. (The exception to this would be if you are using the software conference bridge provided by CUCM and the external caller is connecting via something other than G711.)

Yes we currently don't have PSTN access to our enterprise. The solution we are looking at is costly and we are looking for an alternative as explained in my post.

We did get focused on the conferencing in this thread, didn't we? Hopefully that part is clearer now.

As for PSTN access: If you only need two lines, you may be able to get away with analog drops from your service provider dropping into FXS-DID ports on your router. This kind of port can receive inbound calls and is also able to process inbound caller ID.

Have you looked into an ITSP and a SIP trunk? If that is available and the service provider is willing to do per-call billing (rather than a flat fee) that might be another cost-effective way to go.