Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 6.1(2) to 8.5(1)

karthikvish2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some clarification regarding CUCM upgrade from 6.1(2) to 8.5(1).

This being an incremental upgrade, what is the exact flow of the upgrade process?

My understanding:

1. Upgrade current version from 6.1(2) to any version that supports a direct upgrade to 8.5(1) eg. 8.0

- Do this on the PUB

- Do the same on the SUBs

- Restart all servers

- All nodes in cluster now run 8.0

2. Next Upgrade 8.0 to 8.5(1).

Please let me know if my understading is correct or is there an alternate way to go about this. I am just concerened about the duration of the upgrade when I take the incremental path as there will be 2 outages and also the time it takes for the database to resync etc.

Thanks for your help.

21 Replies 21

Correct , just don't forget to upload the SW feature license.

Amer

Thanks Amer,

So, the incremental upgrade is the only way?

The reason I ask is: I very vaguely remember (I might be wrong) that you could do a direct upgrade from 6.1.2 to 8.5.1 (without going through 8.0) if you already have a feature license for 8.0 installed before the upgrade.

Is this right?

Please let me know.

Hello,

Check the below URL , it has the direct upgrade Paths for CUCM

In table 5 : you will see that the direct upgrade to CUCM 8.5 should be at least 6.1.4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp297179

Amer

Dears

I have some doubts regarding the upgrade mechanism & the licensing for this upgrade please correct me if I am wrong on the below steps......

I have 6.1(4) where I can upgrade directly to 8.5

I will chaeck the hardware compatibility with CUCM 8.5

what I will do is I will order only the Install & Upgrade DVD from Cisco for my Server as I have the license for my phones & nodes already in CUCM6.1

I have 2x MCS server  I will start with the Publisher & I will do the upgrade from the OS Administration then I will switch version & restart my Server

as you know this is the licensed server so will I get all my nodes & device license after the new CUCM 8.5 come up?????

then I will do the same for the subscriber server.

for the upgrade can I restart the server & boot with the new CUCM8.5 & upgrade the existing 6.1(4) and get the same result (license for nodes & devices)

or its must to be done through OS Administration & then switch the version???

your feedback is highly appreciated

Hello,

for the upgrade can I restart the server & boot with the new CUCM8.5  & upgrade the existing 6.1(4) and get the same result (license for  nodes & devices)

What you can do is upgrading the two servers at the same time , there is no impact on the imporation , then play with the call manager group by :

1- change the order so that the subscriber is on the first .

2- switch the verison of the PUB and do a restart , after the server comes up , restart the subscriber , this will make all phones do the firmware upgrade and register , at this time the subscriber will come up and everything will be back normally.

As for the licensing , the license MUST be upload before you switch version , otherwise the CCM service will not come up , all what you need is one license which is the SW feature license for 8.X , as for the nodes and device license , they will be upgraded with the upgrade.

When you upload the SW feature license , make sure to restart the CCM service from the serviceability , then go to license report to check that the SW feature version is 8.X then start the upgrade.

Amer

Hi Amer

Appreciating your kind response

for the SW feature license for 8.X will I get this if I purchased only the software for upgrade, or I have to order it separatly?

Cheers

Salam Ashraf,

Yes , you will get it when you purchase the upgrade.

Amer

Amer

Wuld you please share the part Number as I didnt find the upgrade part number

Cheers

Hello,

If you have a valid UCSS , you can order the upgrade through the PUT tool .

If not , use the CUCM-USR-LIC partnumber and upgrade the number of useres to enhance users , ask for the media kit to be 8.5

P.S: order the nodes license to be 9 , it's free

Amer

Dear Amer

here you go what I got:

CUCM-USR-LSC
     Top Level UCL SKU
1  USD  0.00  21 Days
      LIC-CUCM-USR-UPG
      CUCM Enhanced User License - 1 User
500  USD  52500.00  21 Days
      UCM-7835-U-802
      CUCM 8.0.2 7835
0.002  USD  0.00  21 Days
      Included: CM-7835K9-802-UKIT
      CUCM 8.0.2 Media Upgrade Kit
0.001  USD  0.00  NPH until 29-MAY-11
      Included: CUCM-PAK
      Include PAK Auto-expanding PAK for CUCM
0.001  USD  0.00  21 Days
      Included: LIC-CUCM-USR-A
      Unified Communications Manager Enhanced Single User-Under 1K
0.00500  USD  0.00  21 Days
      Included: UCM-7835-UPG-NODE
      CUCM 7835 Upgrade Node
0.002  USD  0.00  21 Days

right now I have 500 users, shall I buy a license for all of them while I have their DLUs already in my 6.1 ?!?!?!

Hello,

You used a wrong partnumber , it is lic not LCS, also in the above you choose 8.0 not 8.5 , below is the right config.

It is cheaper for you to choose the 3 by 3 migration , you can get the upgrade for one user for only 3 USD but it is mandotary to buy the UCSS .

Product Number and Description QtyEstimated
Price
Estimated
Lead Time
      CUCM-USR-LIC
       Top Level Sku For User License
1               USD                   0.00             21 Days
        MIG-CUCM-USR-A
        Migration to UC Manager Enhanced - Less than 1K Users
500              USD              1500.00             21 Days
        UCSS-UCM-1-1-A
        UC Manager Enh UCSS Less than 1K users - 1 user - 1 year
500              USD              6000.00             21 Days
        UCM-7835-85
        CUCM 8.5 7835
9              USD              0.00             21 Days
        Included: CUCM-PAK
        Include PAK Auto-expanding PAK for CUCM
1              USD              0.00             21 Days
        Included: CUCM-USR
        Include PAK Auto-expanding User for CUCM
1000              USD              0.00             21 Days
        Included: UCM-7835-85-UKIT
        CUCM 8.5 Upgrade Media Kit
        Included: UCM-7835-UPG-NODE
        CUCM 7835 Upgrade Node
9              USD              0.00             21 Days
        Included: UCSS-UCM-PAK
        Include PAK Auto-expanding UCSS PAK for CUCM

Amer

Dear

Really Appreciated

gor it now,

another qestions in order to finalize all upgrades problems:

for the 4.x I will not be able to go direct to 8.x I have to go up to 7.x then to 8.x

so I will buy the software only of 7.x which is suitable to my hardware model, then run the DMA on 4.x, & no need for any kind of license for this procedure

after that folowing the same in order to go to 8.x

Hello,

Migrating from 4.X is another story .

The upgrad using the DMA will give you for free a SW feature license along with the DLU's , so no need to buy 7.X upgrade license , all what you need to buy is the 8.0 the same as i posted before , when you use the DMA , install the DMA version associated with the 7.X , in this case , yu will get a file .lic installed on the server when you finish implementing the DMA on the 7.X , use the license web page to migrate them , you will get the nodes and DLU's for free , after that implement the SW feature license for 8.X and then start the upgrade using he install/upgrade procedure from the OSAdministration.

Hope that helps.

Amer

Dear

So at least I need 7.x media DVD & thats all

for the .LIC file which it will genarated by DMA I will find it in 4.x windows along with the other files of the DMA

do I need to go to licensing page or I will get all license (Nodes & DLUs) ready from the DMA ???

coz the when 7.x comes up he should find license ready, or I can the licensing before starting the upgrade using the DMA .lic file

Cheers