cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default background images in 88xx 3PCC missing

icp
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased a bunch of 8851 phones (refurb).

We have noticed that any of the phones running newer firmware does not have any default background images built into the phones.

However we had one phone that did have them. So we compared them and noticed that phone was running firmware version 11.0.0 from 2017. That firmware version does have the default background images available, but we have other phones running 11.2.1 and 11.3.1 and background images are not available in those newer firmwares.

My question is:

1) why aren't the default background images available in these newer firmwares?

2) How do we get them back in newer firmwares?

Please keep in mind we DO NOT have call manager. These are 3PCC versions and must be managed individually from the web interface of each phone. We have tried factory resetting them and that does not bring back the background images.

8 Replies 8

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Newer MPP firmware versions do not have a background by default. You can set the background of your choice by going to the phone web page at http://IPADDRESS/admin/advanced and set it here:

Voice->User->Screen->Picture Download URL

Thanks

This is incorrect. You can't set a phone image because there are no phone images on the phone to set. Nothing, Nada, zero, zilch.
Why were the background images removed from newer firmware? That seems like a very silly thing to remove.

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't set a phone image because there are no phone images on the phone to set. Nothing, Nada, zero, zilch.

-- This is partially correct. There are no images on the phone. However you can set the wallpaper to an image of your choice. You can set the config with the link to the image and set it as the wallpaper. The above config path I shared helps with that.

Thanks.

The original question still has not been answered. Why were background images removed from newer firmware?

And yes, you can push a wallpaper, but only 1 at a time. How do you propose I get 10 different backgrounds onto the phone in order to allow our users to choose their own from a list?

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How do you propose I get 10 different backgrounds onto the phone in order to allow our users to choose their own from a list?

-- Even the older firmware didn't have this feature. This will probably have memory implications. However you can reach out to support and ensure an enhancement request is created to get this analyzed.

Why were background images removed from newer firmware?

-- This has to be a business decision which is out of scope in a community forum. Again to get a more in depth reply reach out to support and they might be able to help you out with answers from the right people. 

Thanks.

Not a concern, just curious. My 8851 phone had no wallpaper, meaning just a gray screen. I changed it to have what others around me have, with the orange/green color in the middle. How would I set it back, to now wallpaper, i.e. the gray screen? There weren't any choices, and when I tried various arrows I got 'Cannot obtain additional wallpapers from server'. I'm guessing maybe default the phone.

andergfraylan
Level 1
Level 1

One of our phones, running firmware version 11.0.0 dating back to 2017, still has these default images intact. But when we look at phones running firmware versions 11.2.1 and 11.3.1, the default background images are conspicuously absent. I'm curious about two key points: firstly, why have the default background images been omitted in these newer firmware versions? And secondly, what can we do to bring them back into the fold for phones with the latest firmware? 

Interesting - we mostly deploy 7841 phones, but next time I do an 8841 or 8851 I'll obseverve the screen. Think back, I think it was the gray bakround, not the 'colorburst' or whatever you call it, that I have now.

Re: firmware - I like to set up phones and have them get new firmware if needed to save our technician time when installing them. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: