cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Pool - "Connected Party Transformation CSS" Configuration Not Taking Effect

simon.birtles
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with getting the device pool "Connected Party Transformation" working.

Setup

• CUCM 11.5

• 2x 9971 Phones (SIP)

• Each phone is in a different location, different region and different device pool. Calls between the phones work fine. 

• I have two CSS setup (as below)

1. One for the calling party number transformation (CSS_CgPCOLL) which successfully transforms the calling number from the phone in this device pool at the remote phone (called phone). This is working with no issues.

2. The second for the connected party transformation (CSS_CdPCOLL) (This is the problem one)
      1. This CSS has a partition PA_CdPCOLL (this partition is not part of any other CSS
      2. The PA_CdPCOLL partition has a Called Party Transformation Pattern associated with it.
      3. The Pattern is 200XXXX with a transform to XXXX

• I have set the Enterprise Parameter "Apply Transformations On Remote Number" to "True"; although I don't believe this is required in this case ? 

• Looking at CUCM traces; there is nothing related to the connected party transform in CSS or Pattern name or translated number and nothing in SIP traces where I would expect Remote-Party-ID to be present within the SIP exchanges but this does not appear in the SIP traces with the transformed number. 
  • From what I can see, CUCM is not even processing this connected party transformation CSS. I have tried with 79x5 phones too with the same failed result.

Phone 1: 3008100 (Calling Phone) - Device Pool and Transformation Patterns for this Device/Pool shown below.

Phone 2: 2001000 (Called Phone)

Expected Successful Result

I would expect for Phone 1 to have the dialled number shown as "1000" once connected to the remote phone. This does not happen and the number displayed is the dialled number "2001000". There are no other translation patterns in play here.

Device Pool of Calling Phone

Called Party Transformation Pattern

I am also slightly confused by the documentation. If I read the CUCM Admin guide for the Device Pool, it states different from the same setting in the Trunk configuration for the same setting at the trunk level... as follows:

Device Pool

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100_chapter_01001.html#CUCM_RF_D0FA2F00_00

Connected Party Settings

Connected Party Transformation CSS

This setting is applicable for inbound calls only. This setting allows you to transform the connected party number on the device to display the connected number in another format, such as a DID or E164 number. Cisco Unified Communications Manager includes the transformed number in the headers of various SIP messages, including 200 OK and mid-call update/reinvite messages for SIP calls and in the Connected Number Information Element of CONNECT and NOTIFY messages for H.323 and MGCP calls. Make sure that the Connected Party Transformation CSS that you choose contains the called party transformation pattern that you want to assign to this device pool.

Note   

If you configure the Connected Party Transformation CSS as None, the transformation does not match and does not get applied. Ensure that you configure the Calling Party Transformation pattern used for Connected Party Transformation in a non-null partition that is not used for routing.

** See above highlighted in red is a contradiction as I see it.

Trunk

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100_chapter_01001001.html

Connected Party Settings

This setting is applicable only for inbound calls. This setting allows you to transform the connected party number on the device to display the connected number in another format, such as a DID or E164 number. Cisco Unified Communications Manager includes the transformed number in the headers of various SIP messages, including 200 OK and mid-call update/reinvite messages. Make sure that the Connected Party Transformation CSS that you choose contains the connected party transformation pattern that you want to assign to this device.

Note   

If you configure the Connected Party Transformation CSS as None, the transformation does not match and does not get applied. Ensure that you configure the Calling Party Transformation pattern used for Connected Party Transformation in a non-null partition that is not used for routing.

Use Device Pool Connected Party Transformation CSS

To use the Connected Party Transformation CSS that is configured in the device pool that is assigned to this device, check this check box. If you do not check this check box, the device uses the Connected Party Transformation CSS that you configured for this device in the Trunk Configuration window.

** First above in orange is clearly a typo, second one is calling as per the second Red one. 

I have tried the different combinations in the device pool with no joy. 

Any ideas as to what I could look at to try to resolve this ? I am aware I can do this at the device & trunk level; but I want to focus on having this work at the Device Pool level.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Simon,

You are right, the documentation on that setting is very confusing. In my testing, it only applies to inbound calls from trunks. Here are my notes on it if it helps:

• Found on device pool or trunk page. Is applied only for calls inbound to cluster from PSTN.
◇ Example 1: PSTN dials a DID of +16785551234. Connected Party Transformation CSS (on trunk or DP) contains a Called Party Transformation Pattern of \+16785551234 → +16785551000. The PSTN user sees his dialed number change to +16785551000.
◇ Example 2: An enterprise user with DID +16785551234 sets their phone to Call Forward All to a non-DID extension of 5000. Connected Party Transformation CSS (on trunk or DP) contains a Called Party Transformation Pattern of 5000 → +16785551000 (enterprise main number). The PSTN user gets forwarded to 5000 but sees the main company number.

Note the "PSTN" was just a lab phone, I'm not sure if the number would update on real PSTN. It would most certainly work this way for intercluster trunks though.

View solution in original post

hi gents,

thanks for confirming Evgeny.

Also it does behave like you said -  whether you use Calling or Called PTP in the Connected Party Transformation CSS...  doco is unclear too.

Just as long as you match on the called party/DNIS coming into the SIP trunk in the said Device Pool/Trunk with these settings 

I agree with telcos most likely not allowing called trunk to modify  SIP Ringing response etc back into telco SBC with fake PAID/RPID information.

V9 CUCM works with SIP trunks

V10 added Connected PT CSS for MGCP and H323 also

Simon, please rate posts

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Paul Kazzi
Level 1
Level 1

HI there Simon,

You will need the advanced service parm  "Apply Transformations On Remote Number" which you have done.

Also you need to try do this transform in an alternate location within calling phone's Device Pool configuration:

Apply it as a Calling Party Transformation Pattern within Device Mobility Related Information- Calling Party Transformation CSS

Also make sure side effect of gateways/other devices in the same DP are not matching this same CSS that aren't meant for translations .

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding. So what you suggest works fine. But any idea on the "Connected Party Transformation CSS" setting in the DP. It seems through my testing that it "does nothing" regardless of how I configure with either called or calling party xforms. Its been around since v10 as far as I can tell so on 11.5 it must be functional and/or any bugs rectified ?!?! There just seems to be little in terms of information about it and google only brings up a few results which have not helped. 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13019471/connected-party-transformation
https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12726551/connected-number-display-phone
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12621196/cucm-86-sip-trunk-cube-sip-trunk-ringing-connected-party-display
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12628541/ip-phone-called-party-transformation
https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11421866/connected-party-transformation-css
Thanks

Hi Simon,

You are right, the documentation on that setting is very confusing. In my testing, it only applies to inbound calls from trunks. Here are my notes on it if it helps:

• Found on device pool or trunk page. Is applied only for calls inbound to cluster from PSTN.
◇ Example 1: PSTN dials a DID of +16785551234. Connected Party Transformation CSS (on trunk or DP) contains a Called Party Transformation Pattern of \+16785551234 → +16785551000. The PSTN user sees his dialed number change to +16785551000.
◇ Example 2: An enterprise user with DID +16785551234 sets their phone to Call Forward All to a non-DID extension of 5000. Connected Party Transformation CSS (on trunk or DP) contains a Called Party Transformation Pattern of 5000 → +16785551000 (enterprise main number). The PSTN user gets forwarded to 5000 but sees the main company number.

Note the "PSTN" was just a lab phone, I'm not sure if the number would update on real PSTN. It would most certainly work this way for intercluster trunks though.

hi gents,

thanks for confirming Evgeny.

Also it does behave like you said -  whether you use Calling or Called PTP in the Connected Party Transformation CSS...  doco is unclear too.

Just as long as you match on the called party/DNIS coming into the SIP trunk in the said Device Pool/Trunk with these settings 

I agree with telcos most likely not allowing called trunk to modify  SIP Ringing response etc back into telco SBC with fake PAID/RPID information.

V9 CUCM works with SIP trunks

V10 added Connected PT CSS for MGCP and H323 also

Simon, please rate posts

So thanks and that has worked to a degree. So the CUCM side is working and I see on om PSTN router the ISDN Connected number as the transformed number which has been returned from the called side where the Device Pool Connected Transform has been setup.. 

Problem is, the PSTN router receives the transformed number on the PRI connected to the site (CUCM) with the transform as discussed. We see this on the PSTN (2851 emulating ISDN network side) inbound (RX) from the connected PRI as ...

*Mar 30 18:54:32.471: ISDN Se0/2/1:15 Q931: RX <- CONNECT pd = 8 callref = 0x808E
Connected Number i = 0x8081, '34966798999'

The issue I have is this is not sent through the connecting PRI. It is the originally dialled number without the 34 (removed by the dial peer matching)

*Mar 30 18:54:32.483: ISDN Se0/2/0:15 Q931: TX -> CONNECT pd = 8 callref = 0x808E
Connected Number i = 0x80, '966798100'

Question is: This could be a mis-config on the PSTN emulation router or does IOS network side emulation support passing these IE's ? PSTN config attached for thoughts ?

Phone--CUCM--(Rtr SIP-E1)---(PSTN-RTR)---(Rtr E1-SIP)---CUCM---Phone

Marked as answered as the question I had has been resolved, but just left with this for end to end. Thanks

debug isdn q931 on the "PSTN" router...attached.

I may have interpreted the feature slightly wrong. The documentation states it applies to inbound calls (assuming calls to devices in this device pool). So with the setup as described above, the following should be true if it works as described (if I am understanding the feature correctly)....

Phone 1: 3008100 (Called Phone) - Device Pool #1 and Connected Party Transformation Patterns for this Device Pool shown below previously.

Phone 2: 2001000 (Calling Phone) - Device Pool #2; No transformations in this pool.

Expected Result

Phone 2 calls Phone 1 (so inbound call to Phone 1 in device pool 1) - Phone 2 is in a separate device pool with no transformations configured.

When the call connects (i.e. Phone 1 answers); I would expect for Phone 1 to have the connected number shown as "1000" on the phone display.

Actual Result

This does not happen and the number displayed is the calling number "2001000". There are no other translation patterns in play here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: