cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dial-peer

kaso_baxtiar
Level 1
Level 1

dears I have some conflict with the configuration I have in my voice gateway which is already configured and I want to review it and get the full understanding of what those commands referred to in the dial-peer configuration I have the following configuration.

dial-peer voice 1 pots

description E1 -> CUCM

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

and  I was wondering if I delete this dial-peer will that affect anything ?

as far as I know, it will catch all incoming calls in an interface that faces the PSTN provider and make it DID which means the router uses one-stage dialing, and the full dialed string is used to match outbound dial peers.

and I believe deleting this will not affect anything (correct me if I was wrong) cause it won't do anything with the call it won't get translated and there is no next destination mentioned.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You wrote in your original post that you had some conflict in your configuration, so based on that I made the wrongful assumption that you had some issue in your configuration that you wanted to solve. If you do not have any specific issue(s) I would personally recommend you to do no changes. That dial peer that you asked about originally has its use and should not be removed. The most important thing that it does is direct-inward-dial, that you’d want to have for pots calls inbound from PSTN.

In general you’ll want to have a dial peer matched in each direction of the call leg, you’ll have one inbound and one outbound call leg. If you do not have a specific dial peer that matches you’d use the default dial peer 0 that is always present. The most bad thing about this dial peer is that it will always use g729 as the codec and vad is enabled, that might not be what you’d want.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

I would certainly not recommend you to remove this as it can for sure not be apart of what ever problem that you mentioned. The dial peer does all those things that you yourself listed and those have significant to the operations of calls from the PSTN.

It might be better if you could describe the problem you have with dial peers so that we can give you a hand with that.

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg   thanks for the reply,

I didn't face any problem in the network or that dial-peer to be specific but I just want to get a full understanding of what that dial-peer can do in my network or what the purpose of this, I have already figured out what other dial-peers doing in my configuration some of them just will be redirected and translated to cucm but srsly I just don't understand that one.

thank you.

You wrote in your original post that you had some conflict in your configuration, so based on that I made the wrongful assumption that you had some issue in your configuration that you wanted to solve. If you do not have any specific issue(s) I would personally recommend you to do no changes. That dial peer that you asked about originally has its use and should not be removed. The most important thing that it does is direct-inward-dial, that you’d want to have for pots calls inbound from PSTN.

In general you’ll want to have a dial peer matched in each direction of the call leg, you’ll have one inbound and one outbound call leg. If you do not have a specific dial peer that matches you’d use the default dial peer 0 that is always present. The most bad thing about this dial peer is that it will always use g729 as the codec and vad is enabled, that might not be what you’d want.

Response Signature

really thank you @Roger Kallberg sir for your informative answer it did help a lot appreciate it.