cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial Plan help

mmacdonald70
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to learn Cisco VoIP on my home network but no matter how much I read, I'm having trouble figuring out dial plans.  I have figured out that since my house has 10 digit dialing, the numbers leaving my house will nly ever start with 0,1,4,6,9 so I thought that I should be able to use 2xx for internal extentions and have anything else go to my SIP trunk but I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Can anybody help?

5 Replies 5

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dial plan defines how your whole internal numbering plan is planned. This refers to your extensions, route patterns, xlation patterns and other services like call pickup groups, call park etc...

The importance of dial plan is to create a system where you have scalable numbering plan and avoid over lapping patterns.

Thats a short summary...Question is what is the problem you are having? It is not clear from your description

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

The problem is that I am having trouble creating a dial plan that will:

Keep 2xx numbers internal and send to local extensions

Send everything else out to my SIP trunk.

I'm not sure if I am supposed to define each individual option (ie 6xx-xxx-xxxx, 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, 011-xxxx) or if I can just say send everything out.

What systems are you using? CCME or CUCM? I still dont understand what you mean by

I'm not sure if I am supposed to define each individual option (ie  6xx-xxx-xxxx, 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, 011-xxxx) or if I can just say send  everything out.

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

I'm sorry.  Like I said, I still trying to learn.  When I pick up the phone and dial a number, does it have to match a dial plan exactly or does it just take the first match?  What I would like is that when I dial 200, it will send me to my local extension 200, but anything else will go out to my SIP provider.  I'm just not sure how to do this.

I am using a UC500

Usually you will have to select an access code. Common accesso codes are 9.

You will then dial 914072412965 for example, CUCM will drop the 9 and send the TELCO 914072412965.

You can then have any number internal, that is not 9, like extensions 1XXX, 2XXX, and you won't have any conflict.