cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable Speakerphone disables Softkeys

d-roush
Level 1
Level 1

When checking the box to disable the speaker phone function of our 7961G phones, the softkeys become dark grey and we get the error "That key is not active here" when pressing the key. Is this by design or a bug? I assume if this is by function it is because by pressing one of the softkeys, it would activate the speaker function . If this is by design, doesn't it limit the use of the HLOG softkey unless you pick up the phone to login/logout? Running CM4.2(3). Phones are SCCP41.8-2-2SR1S. I have tried upgrading to SCCP41.8-3-4SR1S, but have the same issue.

11 Replies 11

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

Good question! I just tried the same on my 7961G and it is the same. What you will find is that the Softkeys that are greyed out with the Handset "On Hook" become available with the Handset "Off Hook". These Softkeys all need a path (normally the Speakerphone) to complete their different functions, so when that path is disabled then the Handset must be used :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for your reply. I figured that was the case and was just verify my thought. Any ideas on how to get the HLOG key to work on-hook? I tried playing w/ the softkeys, but no luck.

Is this Call Manager? Or Call Manager Express? I need to disable speakerphone in CME.

Hi Jason,

This reference was to CCM but this can be done on CME as well :)

This can be done on CME on a phone by phone basis. Have a look;

service phone

To modify the vendorConfig parameters in the configuration file, use the service phone command in telephony-service or ephone-template configuration mode. To disable a setting, use the no form of this command.

service phone parameter-name parameter-value

no service phone parameter-name parameter-value

This command in telephony-service configuration mode modifies vendorConfig parameters in the configuration file for phones in a Cisco Unified CME system.

In Cisco Unified CME 4.0 and later versions, support for creating configuration files at a per-phone level was supported and this command in ephone-template configuration mode creates an ephone-template of vendorConfig parameters which can then be applied to an individual Cisco Unified IP phone in Cisco Unified CME.

disableSpeaker {true | false}

Enables and disables the speakerphone.

true Enabled (default).

false Disabled.

Router(config)# telephony-service

Router(config-telephony)# service phone disableSpeaker false

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008061137f.html#wp1123331

The following example shows how to disable the Speakerphone on an individual IP phone (ephone 15) using an ephone template:

Router(config)# ephone-template 8

Router(config-ephone-template)# service phone disableSpeaker True (**this may be FALSE as there is some debate here)

Router(config-ephone-template)# exit

Router(config)# ephone 15

Router(config-ephone)# ephone-template 8

Router(config-ephone)# exit

Router(config)# telephony-service

Router(config-telephony)# create cnf-files

Router(config-telephony)# exit

Router(config)# ephone 15

Router(config-ephone)# reset

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you Rob...great post!

true = speakerphone is disabled

false = speakerphone is enabled

Now, is there a way to configure a time zone for individual phones? We have phones in another time zone running off of our CME.

Thanks again!

Jason

Hi Jason,

You are most welcome :) I don't see that as possible unless all the remote phones were "Java Based" 3rd generation phones like the 7941 and all the local phones were 2nd generation like the 7940 as they use different methods to derive the time display.

This was really covered nicely by Paul in this thread :)

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=General&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cbf1665/0

Hope this helps!

Rob

We have that config set. We're using 7941G-GE's. It would be nice to be able to adjust individual phones to match a remote time zone. Either by a time zone setting, or time offset.

Jason

I know this thread is quite old but hoping someone still around to answer a few questions. I have tried the above mentioned commands to disable the speaker phone on global bases and per phone, and can not get it to work. These are older 7942 and 7962 phones running like firmware 9.3.3 with CME on the router. I do have an error on the phone status message that gives error retrieving SEPxxxx.xml.cnf file. So am I suppose to be serving that file up on the router tftp server or how does it know where and what file to retrieve.

CME 4.1 (XJ4) What we need to do is only have a few phones have speakerphone turned on. The 7940's I test with seem to work fine, but the 7941 - 7961's do not. We have globally shut off the speaker. We cannot override it with the ephone template to turn on the speaker on select phones. firmware 8.2

Any ideas?

Hi Jason,

Can you try the opposite config? Globally Enable and then turn off specific phones. Just thinking out loud :)

Rob

I've tried that and it still doesn't work...

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: