Views
Helpful
Replies

dual SIP gateways for failover

pxh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to implement two SIP gateways/CUBEs at SITE A and site B for redundancy PSTN callings .  This will be implemented on CUCM 8.5x and CUBE routers are 2951 with IOS 15.x.

which option is bettter?

1. to put two SIP gateways into one route-group and  a route-list points that route-group

or

2. put each SIP gateway to route-group A and group-route B and put both route-groups into a route-list

More than ten spoke sites will use those SIP trunks. 

Thank you in advance for any information.

PH

3 Replies 3

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

There's no difference between 1 and 2 as far as failover was concerned.

Route group is a container with specific digit manipulation rules.  If all GWs/Trunks share the same digit manipulation rules, I don't see the point of having multiple route groups.

Michael

Exactly, it's one & the same. I second Michael's opinion.

GP.

The additional difference is that with route group you are able to select distribution algorithm, so you do not have to use 1 trunk before the other, but rather do circular routing which will load balance the calls. My best practice for trunks/circuits that share the same destination and manipulate the digits the same is to place them into 1 route group with circular algorithm and point the route list to this route group.

In addition for SIP trunks with version 8.5+ you can now point to up to 16 SIP destination on the SIP trunk, so that may be an option as well.

HTH, please rate all helpful posts!

Chris