cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 R2 in Tijuana Mexico

gb-fairchild
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing Cisco phones in Tijuana, MX with Call Manager 7.1.3.  From another post on this forum it sounds like I need to use H.323 for my gateway (router is 3825 with VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1) since E1  R2 is not supported with MGCP?  Has anyone set up a E1 R2 in Mexico and could you pass on your configuration or info?  This is my first circuit in Mexico and I have not had to set up an H.323 gateway for our other sites.

The circuit is from Telnor and is currently connected to their Nortel PBX.  They have given this info regarding the circuit:

E1 Telnor

CAS

R2MFC

Hdb3

No CRC

A-Law

I did find documentation on the VWIC2-2MFT- T1/E1 that covers E1 R2 but any help would be appreciated.

They also have a 2nd E1 and that is a PRI so I think that should be similair to E1's I have set up in  Europe using MGCP.

Thanks,

Bill

3 Replies 3

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Right, you can't use E1R2 in MGCP.  Use H323 or SIP.

These documents should get you started:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00800943c2.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00800942f2.shtml

With e1r2, configuration varies greatly per telco and country, so you need to make sure you get all the details you can from your provider regarding how they are provisioned.

Typically, in E1 R2 world, telcos are unable to provide more details than what the OP posted above.

Sometime, they can specify like "lower 15 channels is outgoing, upper 15 is incoming", but that's it.

They specifically do not understand or recognize standard terms like "compelled", "digital", or even "answer-signal". To their eyes, there is only one way to do things, and the average technician do not even understand it in full.

Consider also that any local PBX vendor and technician knows already how to configure their product for a given telco, and they are not willing to divulge this information to the competition. Their terminology is also different.

Consequently, it is installer responsibility to figure out the right configuration. That is why E1 R2 configurations should only be given to very experienced consultants, or local certified Cisco partners.

Bruno Rangel
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

I configure a Gw on the Mexico City I think your configuration is more less like the mine:

controller E1 1/1/1
framing NO-CRC4
ds0-group 1 timeslots 1-15,17-31 type r2-digital r2-compelled ani
cas-custom 1
  country telmex
  category 2
  answer-signal group-b 1
  groupa-callerid-end
description Telmex Circuit
!

Please confirm with PTT the correct configuration.

Cheers
Bruno Rangel
Please remember to rate helpful responses using the star bellow and identify helpful or correct answers