Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware upgrade issue

dfokin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Currenly we are migrating from CUCM 5.0 to 7.1.5. 1200  phones are spread across 20 WAN sites, each site is connected to central  site with 2Mbps link. The cluster is located at the central site.  Central site has 20 Mbps link to the WAN. During migration process the  "Load Information" parameter in "Device Defaults" section was cleared  for certain phone models to prevent FW upgrade issues during migration  pocess. All phones currently are provisioned with FW version 8.3.2 and  registered on the new cluster. I need to upgrade phone FW to most  current 9.0.2.SR1 version.To accomplish this, I have developed few  scenarios of upgrade process and i want to discuss with you most perfect  (in my opinion, of course) scenario:

Since I am unable  to do direct upgrade from 8.3.2 to 9.0.2, I need to perform interim  upgrade to the 8.5.2 version of FW. To minimize WAN link usage, I will  use "Peer firmware sharing" option. Each site is associated with the  Device Pool. Further steps are:

1. Upload to all TFTP servers in cluster 8.5.2 FW bundles for my 7911 and 7941 phones

2. Set "Load Information" option in "Device Defaults" to 8.5.2

3. For each device pool:

3.1 Enable "Peer Firmware Sharing" option for all phones

3.2 Reset phones

4. Set "Load Information" option in "Device Defaults" to 9.0.2.SR1

5. For each device pool:

5.1 Reset phones

For  the first look all things are easy, but when I tried to test this  scenario in the lab, I have met very discouraging issue: when the phone  upgrades its firmware from version 8.3.2 to 8.5.2, it does it TWICE.  After the step 3.2 of my scenario the phones are rebooting, one of them  loads FW files from the TFTP server and distributes FW files across  their neighbors. They all are updating their firmwares and after update  they all are rebooting, but instead of further booting, they all are  upgrading their firmwares one more time. This time they do not use peer  firmware sharing (since they are not configured with this option) and  all phones are requesting FW files directly from the central TFTP  server. I think, this is very bad, because it is real pain, to  distribute phone firmware through WAN link for 60-70 phones at the same  time with TFTP.To avoid this mess, I have developed following plan:

1. Upload 8.5.2 FW bundles to the TFTP server at each site (I have used Cisco router)

2. Update DHCP option 150 at each site to point to the local TFTP server

3. Reset all phones at the site

4. Monitor TFTP server events to understand, that the firmware upgrade process is finished

5. Set DHCP option 150 back to the addresses of TFTP servers at the central site

6. After that phones with FW version 8.5.2 will be registered on CUCM and I will perform step 5 from my original plan.

I  have tested this plan in my lab and it worked, but I think, this  procedure is very complex. Maybe there is more easy way to upgrade 8.3.2  to 8.5.2?

Thank you for reading! =)

1 Reply 1

Avner Izhar
Level 3
Level 3

Local tftp is what I used in the past as well, if that's too complicated then perhaps you can do it the normal way, over the weekend, and just let it run ...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: