Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware Upgrade of Collaboration Endpoint (DX & SX) from CUCM

dipars1953om
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I am planning to upgrade firmware of Collaboration Endpoint (DX & SX) from CUCM running on 12.5 SU7 Mega Cluster.

I know the basics of 'how to do it' but my question is it necessary to restart the tomcat Service on all nodes within the cluster and restart the Cisco CallManager Service only on Publisher (as it is running) after the Firmware Upgrade?

If you have any artifacts in this reference then that would be really helpful. I have googled it but not getting much supportive document from Cisco to conclude that we do need to restart the tomcat Service on all nodes within the cluster and restart the Cisco CallManager Service only on Publisher (as it is running) after the Firmware Upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AFAIK the only time you’ll need to reset these services is when you have installed something that adds a new model of device to your system as that adds posts to the database. Otherwise you only need to restart the TFTP service.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

b.winter
VIP
VIP

You need to restart the TFTP-service on all nodes, which you install the firmware files.
If a Node has the TFTP deactivated, then you don't need to restart it, sounds logical right?

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your response. Hope you are doing well.

First of all, I apologize for my typo, I wanted to mean tomcat service. 

We are using CUCM Mega Cluster 12.5 SU7, is it necessary to restart the tomcat Service on all nodes within the cluster and restart the Cisco CallManager Service only on Publisher (as it is running) after the Firmware Upgrade?

You don't need to restart neither the CallManager nor the Tomcat service, if you doing a endpoint firmware update. But services have nothing to do with that.

Capture.PNGHello Sir, 

Just came across with the attached screenshot and got confused. Could you please help here?

I have never restarted the Callmanager and Tomcat service.
But if you already have the information, why open a new thread in the forum?!

I also never restarted the tomcat Service or CallManager Service, so I got confused, as without this it worked earlier for me and now when I came across this doc, I got confused, so wanted to get other's opinion and thought on this. 

I hope I made myself very clear why I have opened this case and answered your question?

Thank You.

AFAIK the only time you’ll need to reset these services is when you have installed something that adds a new model of device to your system as that adds posts to the database. Otherwise you only need to restart the TFTP service.

Response Signature

Thanks for your response. This really makes sense. 

Since we are using the TFTP server to upload the file for firmware upgrade , we need to restart the tftp server . 

no need to restart any other service

TFTP service is restarted when the phones doesnt upgrade the firmware ( post phone reboot ) themselves even after the new firmware is installed on CUCM.

I recently installed firmware cop on office cucm to upgrade the firmware and even the device package to support 8875.

I didn’t restart the call manger or tomcat services and it worked for me.

This is a new information for me.

Response Signature

Yes, I have done the Firmware Upgrade on February this year without restarting the tomcat & CallManager Service and that worked for me as well. Indeed, this information is new to me.

Thank you.

I am not sure from where you received this. Here is the link for DX 650. And no where on release notes of DX and SX its mentioned to restart the tomcat services. Could you share the link which you found it saying restart Tomcat. AFAIK only TFTP service need to be restarted.

https://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074288/136418/cmterm-dx650.10-2-5-215-readme.html

NithinEluvathingal_0-1684213893149.png

Response Signature

Thanks for your response. I am totally with you. Here is the link I am referring to: Administration Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 12.5(1)SU6 and 12.5(1)SU7 - Manage Device Firmware [Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)] - Cisco

Somehow Release Note of CE9.15.17.4 does not say much about the Firmware Upgrade Process. 

Any clarification on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Install the COP-File on all designated TFTP-nodes
Restart the TFTP-services on those nodes
Restart the Devices
Wait for the upgrade to happen

That's not rocket sience.
What information / confirmation do you want to have more, if at least 3 people tell you, that you only need to restart TFTP service?