Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware Upgrade

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM System version: 11.5.1.14900-11

Hello, I am planning a firmware upgrade for my 8841/8851s.  I will be upgrading them to sip88xx.12-0-1SR1-1, which I have uploaded to the TFTPs and I have successfully upgraded one single phone, and it is working well.

When I go to Device -> Device Settings -> Device Defaults, the active load for 8851 is sip88xx.10-3-1-20, which is what most of our 8851/41s are using with the exception of some newer ones that require 11-7 or higher, which came shipped with that version of firmware.  The inactive load for 8851/41s shows sip88xx.12-0-1SR1-1, which is the firmware version I want to update to.

I had expected that if I went to any 8851 in call manager that it would show 12-0-1SR1-1 as the inactive load on the phone.  My understanding was that once I put the new firmware on the TFTPs, the new version would be sent to the inactive bank of all 8851/41s.  Should I be concerned about this for my firmware upgrade?  I'm just not sure if when I swap the loads in Device Defaults if that is when the newer firmware will be sent to the phones, or if it should be sending the new firmware out to the phones to the inactive bank, so that when I Swap Loads, it's already ready on the phone already.  Or if  I should just expect it to take a while when I do the upgrade because it will still have to send the firmware out to all the phones.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

jrsteele21
Spotlight
Spotlight

if i am not mistaken, you just need to "swap" loads in CCM and then reset your phones.  Try the reset with one phone first.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I believe it requires at least an Apply Config on the phone (or its Device Pool) to trigger the download to inactive side. A device reset would also do it.

This assumes you restarted TFTP after installing the COP file on all nodes in the cluster of course.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: