Views
Helpful
Replies

FXS port configuration for FAX

aaa5678
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

might be a stupid question. but if I configure a fxs port to work with fax, do I still need an ATA to connect my fax to? 

I have an ISDN30 coming to the router and recently I have asked BT to add a new number to that so I can use it as a fax number.

4 Replies 4

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

The FXS port would provide dial-tone to your fax machine and you would connect directly to the FXS port, no need for the ATA.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for that, I think the comm room is in a different floor so shall i get an ata and connect it to the switch? do I ned any sort of configuration for ata on router?

thanks

To use the FXS port you need an RJ11 connection from the FXS port on the router to the fax machine. This can go through building wiring if they are on different floors. If there is only ethernet (RJ45) connections near the fax machine you would need to connect an ATA to the network, register it to the CUCM and assign the extension in CUCM. In that case the FXS port on the router would not be used.

thanks, I don't use CUCM. I only have CME, is there any guide for configuring ATA on CME?