cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How Do I Factory Default an 8961?

Gary Parker
Level 1
Level 1

Morning all, I'm stuck with an 8961 handset that I need to factory default. It has an out of date CTL on it so will not register but also has restrictions applied to the UI such that I cannot access the Administrator Settings.

I understand that it is possible to factory reset these handsets by holding down # at power on and inputting 123456789*0# during the boot up, as with other handsets, but I cannot find a reliable guide anywhere as to the timings to achieve this. I'm sure it will involve the lighting up and colour changes of the LEDs around the screen but much experimentation as yielded no results.

I would very much appreciate any help with this as I cannot find any official documentation describing the process for this specific model of handset.

Gary

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gary Parker
Level 1
Level 1

Appologies if it's considered bad form to reply to one's own post but a colleague finally bludgeoned this handset into submission with the following steps:

1. Disconenct the handset from power/network so it's off
  2. Hold down the hash "#" key and reconnect the power/network
  3. Keep holding down the hash key until the first pair of LEDs lights up then release it immediately
  4. Key in 123456789*0# and leave the handset to continue booting. No obvious feedback is given at this point that the device will be defaulted

The device should now take slightly longer than normal to boot up (and may reboot again) and you may see the white LEDs behind the cursor pad lit for longer than normal. Once it's booted up you find your handset reset to factory defaults.

View solution in original post

I'm glad you found that procedure and followed up to post the solution.  There is a documentation bug open to get that procedure documented in the 8961/9951/9971 docs:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCua96332

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Gary Parker
Level 1
Level 1

Appologies if it's considered bad form to reply to one's own post but a colleague finally bludgeoned this handset into submission with the following steps:

1. Disconenct the handset from power/network so it's off
  2. Hold down the hash "#" key and reconnect the power/network
  3. Keep holding down the hash key until the first pair of LEDs lights up then release it immediately
  4. Key in 123456789*0# and leave the handset to continue booting. No obvious feedback is given at this point that the device will be defaulted

The device should now take slightly longer than normal to boot up (and may reboot again) and you may see the white LEDs behind the cursor pad lit for longer than normal. Once it's booted up you find your handset reset to factory defaults.

I'm glad you found that procedure and followed up to post the solution.  There is a documentation bug open to get that procedure documented in the 8961/9951/9971 docs:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCua96332

Thanks for the post.

FYI - I followed this sequence and found that the 8961 would not successfully reset while connected to the Cisco corporate network. Only when I connected the 8961 to an island switch and performed the boot key sequence did the phone actually reset and allow admin settings changes.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gary/Joe,

Nice work and great follow-up here

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen