Helpful
Replies

How to enable MTP Software CUCM and Router IOS Software

mdrangell22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys

I have a doudbt about MTP. 

How Can I enable MTP Software CUCM and How Can I enable Software MTP on Router?

I have been reading that if I want to MTP Software on CUCM I only have to enable MTP on SIP trunk and enable an specify service on serviceability, is that right?

5 Replies 5

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

These two guides should help you

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/213261-understanding-media-resource-groups-and.html

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/basic-hardware-base-ios-media-resources-configuration-and/ta-p/3164231#toc-hId--1210530532

You will mostly required MTP for DTMF internetworking, say one end point supports only inband and other supports only outband. You need MTP in this case for DTMF translation.

Other reasons could be when you use Fast Start in H.323 (instead of default slow start), SIP early offer (instead of default delayed offer) etc.

You can use MTP either using CUCM (only software MTP) or IOS (software or hardware). A Software MTP can be configured on a CUCM where as Hardware MTP will be configured on the Router with the use of DSPs.

So Software MTP's are mostly used for DTMF inter-networking, RSVP etc, while  Hardware MTP's are used for changing sampling rate etc. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Software MTP is enabled by default on the nodes that are IP Voice Media Streaming App service.
You can check the service parameters for IPVMS and ensure that the "Run Flag" is set to True. Alternatively you can also go to Media Resources > MTP and see if the MTP is showing an IP address for the node and registered as well.
From the router, you would need to add SCCP/CCM and DSPfarm profiles and the profile for MTP will need to have "software" mentioned.

On the SIP trunk, you are just enabling it and not activating or deactivating MTP.

Hello 

So you are saying if I want Software MTP on CUCM I need to create  SCCP and DSP Farm Profiles on the Router? 

Hello , So you are saying if I want Software MTP on CUCM I need to create  SCCP and DSP Farm Profiles on the Router? 

Nope, both are independent that is why i wrote them in separate paras. You need dspfarm if the MTP will be hosted on the router. If you want to use the CUCM based resources, you DO NOT need the resources on IOS.