cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to force database replication after CUCM upgrade

dan hale
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All, I will be doing an upgrade to version 10.5 from 8.5 of CUCM. I've done this before and as documented started with the publisher and then subscriber. When I have done this I always wait and check Database replication via RTMT and the CLI.

I'm always nervous as this process seems to take a long time. Is this just a waiting game or is there a command that I can force replication to my subscribers? How long should this process really take? I never know....

Thanks,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

admin:utils dbreplication reset all

This command will try to start Replication reset and will return in 1-2 minutes.
Background repair of replication will continue after that for 1 hour.
Please watch RTMT replication state. It should go from 0 to 2. When all subs
have an RTMT Replicate State of 2, replication is complete.
If Sub replication state becomes 4 or 1, there is an error in replication setup.
Monitor the RTMT counters on all subs to determine when replication is complete.
Error details if found will be listed below

OK [<YOUR SUBSCRIBER IP>]

Reset command completed successfully on:
--> <YOUR SUBSCRIBER NAME>

Reset completed: 1     Failed: 0
Duration: 1.66 minute
Use CLI to see detail: 'file view activelog cm/trace/dbl/sdi/dbl_repl_output_util.log'
admin:

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ekin Gumus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dan,

Could you please tell me how many servers you have in your cluster? Right now all of them are in "2" status? Unfortunatelly you have to wait after upgrade and be sure everything will go ok. It will take minimum 2 hours, of course depends on your cluster. Maybe more and more hours. But if replication process stops or stucks you can try these command;

• utils dbreplication stop” on all the subscribers. (Do not proceed to next step until this process is completed on all the subscribers)
  •  “utils dbreplication stop” on the publisher.
  • utils dbreplication dropadmindb” on all the subscribers. (Do not proceed to next step until this process is completed on all the subscribers)
  • utils dbreplication dropadmindb” on the publisher. (Proceed to next step once this is over)
  • utils dbreplication reset all” on the publisher.

Then you will have to keep monitoring.

Hope this helps you.

Ekin.

Thanks Ekin, that is some great commands. You mentioned not to proceed after the next steps...how will I know will the Command line tell me that the "dbreplication" has stopped?

Thanks,

Dan

Hello Dan Hale,

After you proceed the command "utils dbreplication stop" on one server you will see message on your screen but I am sorry I don't remember what was the exact message. And also you can use "utils dbreplication status" to check

admin:utils dbreplication stop

********************************************************************************************
This command will delete the marker file(s) so that automatic replication setup is stopped
It will also stop any replication setup currently executing
********************************************************************************************

Deleted the marker file, auto replication setup is stopped

Service Manager is running
Commanded Out of Service
A Cisco DB Replicator[NOTRUNNING]
Service Manager is running
A Cisco DB Replicator[STARTED]
Killed dblrpc process - 16609

Completed replication process cleanup

Please run the command 'utils dbreplication runtimestate' and make sure all nodes are
RPC reachable before a replication reset is executed

this one. Issued just the same, so i thought i append the output here

admin:utils dbreplication dropadmindb

*****************************************************************************************

WARNING !!!
This command will drop syscdr database on the node.

*****************************************************************************************

Do you want to continue? (y/n):y

This command may take a significant amount of time.  Please be patient.
No argument provided. Dropping syscdr on local server [<YOUR SERVER IP>]
DropAdminDB is being executed on [<YOUR SERVER IP>]
DropAdminDB successfully dropped both syscdr and deltab tables on the node [<YOUR SERVER IP>]
DropAdminDB completed sucessfully.

admin:utils dbreplication reset all

This command will try to start Replication reset and will return in 1-2 minutes.
Background repair of replication will continue after that for 1 hour.
Please watch RTMT replication state. It should go from 0 to 2. When all subs
have an RTMT Replicate State of 2, replication is complete.
If Sub replication state becomes 4 or 1, there is an error in replication setup.
Monitor the RTMT counters on all subs to determine when replication is complete.
Error details if found will be listed below

OK [<YOUR SUBSCRIBER IP>]

Reset command completed successfully on:
--> <YOUR SUBSCRIBER NAME>

Reset completed: 1     Failed: 0
Duration: 1.66 minute
Use CLI to see detail: 'file view activelog cm/trace/dbl/sdi/dbl_repl_output_util.log'
admin:

Dan,

Use "utils dbreplication runtimestate" to check the replication status of your servers in the cluster. The servers should show connected to the publisher and a status of 2

Or you can use unified reporting to generate report on db replication as follows.

Check Database Replication:

1. Access Publisher CUCM GUI

2. Navigate to Cisco Unified Reporting

3. Select System Reports

4. Select Unified CM Database Status

5. Generate New Report

6. In the Unified CM Database Status section of the report, expand the View Details under the All servers have a good replication status and confirm a Replicate State for all servers of “2” as follows:

If your replication is broken (I had this issue after an upgrade last month) just rebuild the database replication from the publisher with a single command..

utils dbreplication rebuild (This command does multiple things. It saves you the need to enter individual commands, like dbdrop, dbrepair etc)

Please rate all useful posts