Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Prioritize RTP Packets for VOIP Audio

Keith7RWA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I'm a relative newbie to more advanced networking but have managed to get our small office IP PBX running over a SIP Trunk. The only real problem we are having is choppy outgoing audio when there is other heavy outgoing traffic on the network.

My understanding is that I need to set some QoS parameters, which I have played with but it didn't seem to help much. I mostly dealt with allocating bandwidth. I now think I need to somehow prioritize the outgoing RTP packets from our PBX (which runs on a PC on our LAN) to help avoid the choppy audio. My research shows this can maybe be done with something called DSCP 46 and my router does support that -- I'm just a little confused on how to exactly set the configuration.

Our router is a Cisco rv180w. I'm thinking it should be pretty straightforward, but any guidance would be appreciated (and feel free to let me know if I'm barking up the entirely wrong tree, too!)

Thanks so much.

4 Replies 4

Sudharshan S
Level 1
Level 1

DSCP 46 should work fine,

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello take a look on this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/solutions_docs/qos_solutions/QoSVoIP/QoSVoIP.html

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Keith,

DSCP 46 will be good cos its mapped to COS 5.

check these docs and hopefully they will help you.

thanks

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business - routers". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.