cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to relay Q931 messages in H.323? (PRI Caller ID updates)

J. S. Black
Level 1
Level 1

Router is 2821 with DMS-100 PRI in Canada (no TCAP DB here). I am receiving NOTIFYs with Connected Address & Display IE's from the switch.  This info is relayed to the CUCM in MGCP mode but not in H.323.  Is there a way to get Called ID updates on the endpoints other than using MGCP?

Example 1:

Two CUCM's in 2 different cities, both have DMS-100 PRI's on MGCP gateways.

From my IP phone on CUCM1 I call DID in CUCM2 via PSTN.  This DID is the VM pilot number, which points to extension 4000 which is the internal VM pilot number. CUCM2 sends Connected Address (4000) & Display IE ("VoiceMail") in a NOTIFY message which gets relayed to CUCM1.  Phone updates Called ID display to reflect the new Connected Address & Display IE. This is exactly how I want it to work - I know I should present E.164 numbers or at least 10-digit numbers but this is a failover scenario where we use the PSTN as a fallback in case the ICT's go down.

Example 2:

Two same CUCM's in 2 different cities, both have DMS-100 PRI's, CUCM1 is H.323 & CUCM2 is MGCP.

From my IP phone on CUCM 1 I call DID in CUCM2 via PSTN.  CUCM2 sends Connected Address & Display IE in a NOTIFY message which gets relayed to PRI GW at CUCM1 site (shows up in deb isdn q931).  This info doesn't make it to the CUCM, phone display does not change with revised Called ID.

I've tried using signaling forward unconditional under voice service voip & the like, to no avail. I know my PRI setup is good as we manage the "telco" side of things as well. Any ideas?

(Sorry for cross-posting, I posted this in the Service Provider VoIP forum by accident)

3 Replies 3

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi JS,

Have a wee look at this thread.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8873

Sounds similar to what you are referring to

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

I did in fact look at this document, but "Name-to-Follow" is specific to NI2, and isdn supp-service name calling just tells the gateway to use Facility IE instead of Display IE for CNID.  h225 display-ie ccm-compatible is pretty much the same thing, and the ntf timeout is just that - a timer that waits for the Name to Follow after the SETUP message.  These commands seem to be specific to NI2 PRI's...

Guess I'll have to go back to MGCP

J. S. Black
Level 1
Level 1

Bumping this... anyone?

I tried setting up a H323 trunk with QSIG between my CUCM & my gateway just for kicks, but this breaks the PRI side of things (Incompatible Destination cause code).