Views
Helpful
Replies

iLo and Smart Start

ROBERT ISAACS
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings to all,

I had to have the mother board changed on my UCM 7.1.3 SUB this past weekend. Everything is up and running fine I am happy to report. After the dust had settled we discovered that we had not updated the iLo configuration. Since my regularly scheduled maintenance period is almost a month away I would like to not wait to update this information next month since I may need it before then. This is on a MCS-7825-H3-IPC1 and I was wondering if there is a way that I can load the Smart Start CD, without rebooting the machine of course, and run the iLo configuration from there.

I am aware that I can wait until maintenance and configure it from startup, but like I said I'd like to do it before then if possible. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

RI                  

1 Reply 1

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

You don't need the Smartstart CD to configure iLO.

What you can do, is plug a laptop into the iLO NIC (via a cross-over network cable - can't remember if the iLOs auto-detect) and run a dummy DHCP server on your laptop. You can then connect to the iLO, configure it's network card, then connect it back to your main network and finish configuration (including iLO firmware update) from there.

GTG

PS - If this is a Cisco badged server, you shouldn't be using the HP firmwares, otherwise Cisco TAC might not be willing to talk to you. Use the Cisco firmware CD instead.

Please rate all helpful posts.