cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of not associating End user in IP phone[CUCM].

bibm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Can anyone explain me what are the impact we face if we did not associate the end user in device config[CUCM]. 

As of my knowledge, The phone will work as a hard phone but there will be no tag also the user can't use some options like Extension Mobility , SNR etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

BIBIN B.M

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Correct, the phone will still function normally. The Owner User ID configuration is used for CDRs and licensing. See below from CUCM help. Some features (Jabber, UCCX, etc.) require the device to be associated with the end user (User Management > End User). I believe you're referring to associating a user with a device.

Owner User ID

From the drop-down list box, choose the user ID of the assigned phone user. The user ID gets recorded in the call detail record (CDR) for all calls made from this device. Assigning a user ID to the device also moves the device from "Unassigned Devices" to "Users" in the License Usage Report.

Note   

Do not configure this field if you are using extension mobility. Extension mobility does not support device owners.

Brandon

Thanks for the clarification Brandon :) 

You might also need to go through the below document which talks more about License Calculation in CM that shows why it is important to assign phones with end users and just don't keep them as orphan devices

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/117600-technote-cucm-00.html

Regards

Deepak

Hi Deepak,

We wont leave the device without a tag , Just  there was a discussion about association process , So i post it here.

Anyway Thanks for your advice & link :) .

Regards,

BIBIN BM

There's a Cisco tool "Device Assignment Tool" that helps if you have lots of phones to fix up.  It looks for matches by description, extension number etc, then creates effectively a BAT spreadsheet to make the assignments.  

Thank you for your clarification, it is very helpful.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: