cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inbound called party number translation -- variable lengths!

crescentwire
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We are implementing a new MGCP gateway in a remote office in Europe, and thus, we have variable number lengths that are standard in this country (Germany). What we need is a way to translate the called number into a different format so it matches internal DNs that we have defined within CallManager.

For example, we need to translate any of the called numbers, such as 54390, 543920, or 5439240 to internal extensions. Our private DN numbering plan is set up so that 22 is the prefix, followed by 3 digits.

So ideally, I need a way to translate as follows:

54390 --> 22000

543920 --> 22020

5439240 --> 22240

One could also write this as follows (if we wish to discard the digits PreDot):

5439.X --> 2200X

5439.XX --> 220XX

5439.XXX --> 22XXX

Can someone please explain to me how to apply this translation pattern INBOUND on our MGCP gateway, so that calls received on the gateway (that match any of these patterns) are routed to the correct DN internally?

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you saying you have variable length DIDs provided from telco at this location?  I find this odd.

Either way if this is indeed the case and if they overlap you will need to create as specific TPs as possible and ensure that the "urgent priority" is not checked.

HTH,

Chris

Chris Deren wrote:

Are you saying you have variable length DIDs provided from telco at this location?  I find this odd.

No isn't odd. Variable lenght numbering plans are present in many countries of the world.

As a consequence, one can receive vaitalve lenght DID, like for example xxx-xxxx-0 and xxx-xxxx-010, or even many more trailing digits.

However, as long overlaps are accuratly avoided, there is no problem at all in having that working.

Thanks Paolo,  I know it is common to have variable length dial plans, but I did not think it was common to have DID ranges of multiple lenghts at the same location, at least I've never run into it with my "limited" international deployments, but I've only dealt with couple dozen countries.

HTH,

Chris

Indeed, it is at least common in Germany, where there are many, many different dialing lengths for DIDs. I was able to solve this, by the way. Here is my solution:

We need to create three translation patterns (TPs), one for each of the dialed strings above (5439X, 5439XX, and 5439XXX). The translation patterns should be set to translate the called party to 2200X, 220XX, and 22XXX, respectively. All three of these TPs should be placed in a new, separate, Partition (we will call it INBOUND-P, for simplicity's sake). On each of these TPs, we also need to assign a CSS that has access to the internal extensions (ALL_PHONES-P or something). Then, we need to create a new CSS that contains just the INBOUND-P partition we created earlier. We need to assign this on the MGCP gateway under the inbound calls. If we set the significant digits to "All", and choose not to assign any prefix addition on the gateway, this will give us what we are after.

Hope this helps someone!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: