cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Incoming called-number and destination-pattern

stork
Level 1
Level 1

I want to know if what I am doing is fine, or if not, what is wrong with it.

I have an incoming called-number and destination-pattern in the same dial-peer.  The reason for this is because the survivability service has to match on an incoming called-number.

Before having the survivability service all that was on the gateway was destination-patterns, which wouldn't work since the service has to be invoked on an inbound dial-peer.

I just want to know if there is any specific reason to not have an inbound and outbound pattern in the same dial-peer.  It's the exact same pattern and it currently works now, but have read that it is not recommended.  Why?

Below is what I have as an example.

dial-peer voice 1919 voip
description To CVP
service survivability
destination-pattern 222333444[7-9]
incoming called-number 222333444[7-9]

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

Georgios Fotiadis
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Every single call passing through an IOS gateway has two call legs; an inbound and an outbound. The incoming called-number helps you match a specific inbound dial-peer and takes precedence over destination-pattern (when it is used for inbound call-leg matching). They do not tend to be used with same number in the same dial-peer, because it is not a good practice having the same dial-peer be matched in both the incoming and outgoing call leg. It is not necessarily (technically) wrong, though.

Georgios
Please rate if you find this helpful.

Thanks for the advice.

So from a troubleshooting perspective, you would want to break them out just for clarity.

Clarity is surely one advantage, but you would, also, be able to use features as different codecs, sip-profiles etc.

Georgios
Please rate if you find this helpful.

This is used to provide optimum configuration. If you have SIP trunk to CUCM rather creating two DPs (one for in and one for out) with same characteristics (coded, dtmf, etc), you can combine this with one DP.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In keeping with best practice you should separate your inbound dial peer from your outbound dial peer. There are a few reasons, some of which Georgios has mentioned. These reasons are particularly important in a ucce environment which is codec sensitive. It gives you the flexibility to manipulate calls based on the service rather than been stuck with doing the same thing for every call. This configuration may work for you today but think about 2 years down the line, will it still be efficient?Always separate your inbound dialpeer from outbound. There are other scenarios where the inbound protocol is different from the outbound protocol...for example in the days of h323 you may be using h323 from cucm and sip to CVP or service provider..

Please rate all useful posts

Looks like I will break them out then.  I just plan on creating a catch all incoming voip dial-peer

dial-peer voice 1 voip

description incoming catch-all voip

service survivability

incoming called-number .

Then create the necessary egress dial-peers.

Thanks for the input.