Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

“invalid activation code” on CISCO 8861

Hello,

I have a CISCO 8861 that requires an activation code. I inserted several codes but I still get the error message "invalid activation code".
I entered the last code on another handset and it took directly, but on the CISCO 8861, it always gave me the error message "invalid activation code".

Can you suggest some solutions to me?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi There, 

Did you check the phone model, is it MPP or Enterprise? Please verify that you are using MPP (3PCC) phones in Webex calling. If it is not an MPP phone, then yes you should convert the phone to MPP firmware before you use it in the Webex calling. Please check the following URL to help you with MPP conversion. (https://upgrade.cisco.com/e2m_converter_wxc

Regards.

Shalid 

View solution in original post

It’s time to check the firmware versions running on the phone. If it’s running an Enterprise version of firmware designed to work with CUCM, you’ll encounter a similar activation page, but the process works differently.
However, if the phone is running the Enterprise version, providing the activation code from Webex won’t work.
As other peer mentioned, check the firmware either from the back side of the phone. If it’s an MPP phone, the part number will contain 3PCC. Keep in mind that for converted phone models, you won’t find this information on the phone’s back side, so you’ll need to try one of the following approaches:
1. Phone Settings: Navigate to the phone settings and find the firmware load. If it’s MPP, it will contain 3pcc mentioned.
2. Phone Web Page: If the phone is running MPP firmware, simply go to the phone’s web page. You should see something similar to the screenshot below:

NithinEluvathingal_0-1707928783351.png

Another thing the phone should be able to reach activate.cisco.com.

If the phone came with the Enterprise firmware, there’s no need to panic. It can be converted to MPP firmware.

NithinEluvathingal_1-1707929176331.pngNithinEluvathingal_2-1707929313534.png

NithinEluvathingal_3-1707929357310.png

Response Signature

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Please provide additional information about your call control platform. Is it a Webex or a CUCM ? If it’s a CUCM, it may be requesting an activation code if the phone doesn’t have the TFTP address configured. Feel free to share more details about your setup, and we’ll assist you further.

Response Signature

Hi

We start with the WEBEX platform. And I noticed that out of 10 deskphones, there are 2 or 3 which have the same problem. But the rest takes place directly without other actions.

Hi,

Regarding Webex Calling, you can add a phone either by using its MAC address or activation code. Please confirm that you have configured it in the Webex Control Hub against a user or a workspace with the correct phone model, and then retrieve the activation code and input it again.

If it still doesn't work, try adding it using the MAC address instead. 

Additionally, please ensure that the phone is using MPP firmware and not the enterprise firmware. If you know the IP address of the phone, simply browse the IP and check if the GUI shows MPP firmware. Alternatively, you can verify the product code; if it shows CP-8861-3PCC-K9, it indicates MPP firmware.

regards,

Disclaimer:

Responses are based on personal knowledge and experience. Consider them as guidance. Other members may offer different perspectives or better approaches. No responsibility is assumed for outcomes; discretion is advised.

Thank you for the answer !
I also tried to add via the MAC address, but no change on the handset, I also performed a factory reset afterwards but nothing changes. It always asks me for the activation code.
Is it absolutely necessary to upgrade the firmware?

Have you verified that the devices that has the issue has MPP firmware? If it doesn’t it will not work with Webex calling.

Response Signature

Hi There, 

Did you check the phone model, is it MPP or Enterprise? Please verify that you are using MPP (3PCC) phones in Webex calling. If it is not an MPP phone, then yes you should convert the phone to MPP firmware before you use it in the Webex calling. Please check the following URL to help you with MPP conversion. (https://upgrade.cisco.com/e2m_converter_wxc

Regards.

Shalid 

It’s time to check the firmware versions running on the phone. If it’s running an Enterprise version of firmware designed to work with CUCM, you’ll encounter a similar activation page, but the process works differently.
However, if the phone is running the Enterprise version, providing the activation code from Webex won’t work.
As other peer mentioned, check the firmware either from the back side of the phone. If it’s an MPP phone, the part number will contain 3PCC. Keep in mind that for converted phone models, you won’t find this information on the phone’s back side, so you’ll need to try one of the following approaches:
1. Phone Settings: Navigate to the phone settings and find the firmware load. If it’s MPP, it will contain 3pcc mentioned.
2. Phone Web Page: If the phone is running MPP firmware, simply go to the phone’s web page. You should see something similar to the screenshot below:

NithinEluvathingal_0-1707928783351.png

Another thing the phone should be able to reach activate.cisco.com.

If the phone came with the Enterprise firmware, there’s no need to panic. It can be converted to MPP firmware.

NithinEluvathingal_1-1707929176331.pngNithinEluvathingal_2-1707929313534.png

NithinEluvathingal_3-1707929357310.png

Response Signature

Thank you for your answers. I will check this once I get back on site and let you know what happens next.