Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid credentials if multiple SIP accounts on 8821 phone

leosoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently bought some 8821 to install them under asterisk 13. I am using the latest SIP firmware 8821.11-0-6-7 and my phones seems they are working as expected without issues while I install one single SIP account per phone. 

If you try to add a second SIP account (...a second line actually), phone sends credentials for the first account registration with an authorization header having credentials from the second account. In case I add more accounts then credentials from last account are used.

EXACTLY the same issue appeared here four years ago (2016) by @jan.klepal on 7800 series phones and an answer came three years later (2019) suggesting to upgrade his license and/or firmware from MPP to enterprise.  Finally his thread marked as solved, but the problem seems that is still remain even on 8821.     

Original link can be found here:

Invalid credentials if multiple SIP accounts on 7800 series IP phone 

I search a lot over web before i open this thread and it is unbelievable that this problem has only the above claim over the last four years.  And for those are ready to say that 8821 does not have a 3PCC firmware, I can reply that this issue its independent from 3PCC because the single line registration works flawlessly!!! (I'm continuously using these phones for weeks under regular asterisk 13) And I am really curious to come across with a SEP{mac}.cnf.xml configuration file containing a multiline configuration even for CM.  Or even better if each line belongs to a different CM server.   Maybe this could help me a lot to solve my issue.  

But according the solution given to the above thread, my questions are:

Does anybody else in this lonely world experienced the same problem with us??? 

Are we the firsts and/or the lasts who wants to use more than one line with 8821???

Is out there any other enterprise firmware (or so...) and/or additional license for 8821?

Does anybody from Cisco team can confirm if there is any road map for a 3PCC release for 8821?

Regards,

Leo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

leosoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again,

First of all lets make a correction to my previous post (almost 6 months ago).  The problem with the registration of multiple SIP accounts (while you use Enterprise firmware) is related ONLY with 8821 and NOT with all 8800 series.    I already checked other models (such as CP-8861-K9) and you can easily register multiple SIP accounts (with Asterisk or so) without issues.  The only restriction you may have is that you are not able to use more than one SIP server per phone.  Multiple accounts yes (depending on model's specs & keys), but all should belong on the same SIP server.   Once again, we are talking for phones wearing Enterprise firmware and NOT 3PCC.  And unfortunately there is no 3PCC firmware for 8821.

Now back to our main issue which is the multiple SIP account registration on 8821, I would like to declare that finally I managed to solve it and I am able to have up to 6 different SIP accounts registered in a "pure" asterisk v15 server.   And I used the word "pure" because alternatively, there is a solution you may came across out there providing patches for asterisk sources to give you the ability to have multiple lines via bulk-registration (usecallmanager.nz)   My solution does not need any patch or special compilation knowledge. 

Because I wanna make the story very clear to everyone, I have to mention from the beginning that 8821 CANNOT use more than one-set of credentials (username/authName & password).   So keep always in your mind that by using this beautiful wifi phone you have to accept that one-set of credentials should be shared for all of the accounts you may need to register on it.  You cannot avoid this fact unless Cisco decide to write a 3PCC firmware for it. (...dream on)

So, all you have to do next is to create as much new PJSIP accounts you may need register (untill 6 actually), but you should set the same password for both of them.  As an example, let say you need 3 accounts:

username / authID: 101
password: shared123pass456

username / authID: 102  

username / authID: 103  

Now you need a way to make your newly created PJSIP accounts (above) to have the same username as well.  And this can be done by adding the following lines to  /etc/asterisk/pjsip_custom_post.conf

[101-auth](+type=auth)
username=ausernameforall

[102-auth](+type=auth)
username=ausernameforall

[103-auth](+type=auth)
username=ausernameforall

And voila! Reload your asterisk and you should have 3 (or more) PJSIP accounts with the same set of credentials.  In our example:

username / authName: ausernameforall
authID: 101
passsword: shared123pass456

authID: 102

authID: 103

Now add your accounts into your SEP{mac}.cnf.xml and finished :

<line button="1">
<featureID>9</featureID>
<featureLabel>Account 101 label</featureLabel>
<proxy>USECALLMANAGER</proxy>
<port>5160</port>
<name>101</name>
<displayName>101</displayName>
<authName>ausernameforall</authName>
<authPassword>shared123pass456</authPassword>

<line button="2">
<featureID>9</featureID>
<featureLabel>Account 102 label</featureLabel>
<port>5160</port>
<name>102</name>
<displayName>102</displayName>

<line button="3">
<featureID>9</featureID>
<featureLabel>Account 103 label</featureLabel>
<port>5160</port>
<name>103</name>
<displayName>103</displayName>

Thats all !!!  Your 8821 should now have three (3) or more different PJSIP accounts perfectly registered individually on your asterisk SIP server like any other Cisco multiline phone without having to patch, compile and reinstall any customized version of asterisk :)))

P/S:  I also have another tricky way to do something similar with legacy SIP accounts (instead of PJSIP) but as I said in my previous post, I am ashamed to suggest it :))))

Good luck and enjoy your 8821 even if it's almost at its eol (July 2023)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

pieterh
VIP
VIP

Hi there I'm no Cisco representative just another forum member, If you want an official answer you need to open a TAC case at Cisco, not a community post.

but it I suggests it may be behavior as expected
It's my understanding that the PHONE registers itself to the call manager, not the line
this matches with "last account entered is used".

leosoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again,

Even after 8 months since my first post and no reply came, I've noticed this small note from an old and well known site usecallmanager.nz which says:

"For secondary lines, do not include <authName> and <authPassword> as the phones only support one set of credentials 

Means actually that you cannot have more than one "real" line on this phone.  So secondary lines can be used just as sip alias???? Who knows...   I am still searching for a working xml configuration with more than one line (...even with just one set of credentials) but till now seems very difficult to find it.

I keep walking.....

If you want to get an official answer from Cisco I would recommend you to open a case with their support organisation TAC. This forum is not the place for that.

Response Signature

leosoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Two years from my last post in this thread and what I made sure is that no Cisco IP phone (exempt of 3PCC versions) are able to hold more than one line configured out of Cisco Call Manager.  As @pieterh wrote before: "PHONE registers itself to the call manager, not the line this matches"  In other words, if you are planning to use more than one line on your Cisco SIP phone with Asterisk, simply forget it !!!  From my experience, this a fact at least for all 8800 series.

Ok... There is a tricky way that you can do it finally but since it's not secure enough and I am ashamed to suggest it :))))

leosoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again,

First of all lets make a correction to my previous post (almost 6 months ago).  The problem with the registration of multiple SIP accounts (while you use Enterprise firmware) is related ONLY with 8821 and NOT with all 8800 series.    I already checked other models (such as CP-8861-K9) and you can easily register multiple SIP accounts (with Asterisk or so) without issues.  The only restriction you may have is that you are not able to use more than one SIP server per phone.  Multiple accounts yes (depending on model's specs & keys), but all should belong on the same SIP server.   Once again, we are talking for phones wearing Enterprise firmware and NOT 3PCC.  And unfortunately there is no 3PCC firmware for 8821.

Now back to our main issue which is the multiple SIP account registration on 8821, I would like to declare that finally I managed to solve it and I am able to have up to 6 different SIP accounts registered in a "pure" asterisk v15 server.   And I used the word "pure" because alternatively, there is a solution you may came across out there providing patches for asterisk sources to give you the ability to have multiple lines via bulk-registration (usecallmanager.nz)   My solution does not need any patch or special compilation knowledge. 

Because I wanna make the story very clear to everyone, I have to mention from the beginning that 8821 CANNOT use more than one-set of credentials (username/authName & password).   So keep always in your mind that by using this beautiful wifi phone you have to accept that one-set of credentials should be shared for all of the accounts you may need to register on it.  You cannot avoid this fact unless Cisco decide to write a 3PCC firmware for it. (...dream on)

So, all you have to do next is to create as much new PJSIP accounts you may need register (untill 6 actually), but you should set the same password for both of them.  As an example, let say you need 3 accounts:

username / authID: 101

username / authID: 102  

username / authID: 103  

Now you need a way to make your newly created PJSIP accounts (above) to have the same username as well.  And this can be done by adding the following lines to  /etc/asterisk/pjsip_custom_post.conf

[101-auth](+type=auth)
username=ausernameforall

[102-auth](+type=auth)
username=ausernameforall

[103-auth](+type=auth)
username=ausernameforall

And voila! Reload your asterisk and you should have 3 (or more) PJSIP accounts with the same set of credentials.  In our example:

authID: 101

authID: 102

authID: 103

Now add your accounts into your SEP{mac}.cnf.xml and finished :

<line button="1">
<featureID>9</featureID>
<featureLabel>Account 101 label</featureLabel>
<port>5160</port>
<name>101</name>
<displayName>101</displayName>

<line button="2">
<featureID>9</featureID>
<featureLabel>Account 102 label</featureLabel>
<port>5160</port>
<name>102</name>
<displayName>102</displayName>

<line button="3">
<featureID>9</featureID>
<featureLabel>Account 103 label</featureLabel>
<port>5160</port>
<name>103</name>
<displayName>103</displayName>

Thats all !!!  Your 8821 should now have three (3) or more different PJSIP accounts perfectly registered individually on your asterisk SIP server like any other Cisco multiline phone without having to patch, compile and reinstall any customized version of asterisk :)))

P/S:  I also have another tricky way to do something similar with legacy SIP accounts (instead of PJSIP) but as I said in my previous post, I am ashamed to suggest it :))))

Good luck and enjoy your 8821 even if it's almost at its eol (July 2023)

I want to second @leosoft's response! I just recently setup my 8841 with Enterprise firmware, and this configuration for multiple lines does indeed work. Hopefully this will help others out there too who are trying to use Enterprise firmware with non-CUCM systems.