Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator Soft Phone on CME?

rossporubski
Level 4
Level 4

Is this possible?

Here at HQ we're on a full blown Call Manager which allows you to create a CIPC profile and simply install the IP Communicator applet.

It's been requested by an off-site business unit who is situated with a CME ver 7.1, he would like the ability to use this with VPN connectivity.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

3 Replies 3

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ross

Yes, CIPC is supported with CME and also works fine using Cisco VPN Client, or newer Cisco AnyConnect client.

Configuration is as per standard CME - the ephone is configured with type CIPC. If the user also has a deskphone, you can create a shared extension across both phones simply by allocating the same ephone-dn to them.

ephone  23

device-security-mode none

mac-address 000A.E4C6.469D

ephone-template 1

type CIPC

button  1:11

!

HTH. Barry

Hi Barry, sorry so long to get back. We had massive flooding in the Northeast corridor yesterday. I was not able to make it in due to road closures and my train line was suspended indefinintely. Thankfully everything is back in working order today.

Thank you for your reply. Seems easy enough. My only question is, as for the MAC, this would be his physical NIC on his laptop I'd be configuring for the ephone?

Thank you

If you boot up CIPC and right-click -> preferences -> network  -- you will see the MAC address your CIPC is susing under the Device Name. 

Normally it is the physical NIC mac address but if you are using VPN is will use the MAC associated with the VPN interface.

You can also click on Use this device Name and enter your own.

i.e.  In my deployements i use the phone number (and adding 00 in front) as the device name  SEP007135551234

so the mac would be 0071.3555.1234

HTH,

cj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: