Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phone 7940G problem

bertintambo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts.

I am new to ip telphony, and have been usinc Cisco packet tracer in all sort of telephony cenario.

When i decided to use the real gear, a cisco 7940 ip phone, a catalyst 3550 and a router, i came accross all sort of issues.

My first question is: does the 7940G runs a software or i have to have a TFTP server configured so that the phone can access the software?

second: i got a message saying "TFTP file not found".. then "Protocol Application Invalid".i would like t know why the messages?

- I did manage to configure 2 vlans: vlan10 and vlan200

- The trunk between the switch and the router had vlan10 as native.

- On the router i then had 2 sub interfaces: f0/0.10 native with 10.10.10.254 /8, and f0/0.200 with ip 172.16.1.254 /16

- The DHCP option 150 for the native vlan on the router.

The PC and the phone got the lease, and i could ping the default gateway successfully, from the router i could ping the phone. But i am loked as the phone does not work at all. the settings key not working, even after a factory default reset.

I really like this topic and i know i might have done some mistakes, please help me.

Thanks fo your time!!!!!!!

4 Replies 4

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

If you're running an SCCP image on your phone then you'll need a CUCM or CME to control the phone and be able to place calls.  Check out the following:

Cisco Unified Communications System 8.x SRND

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/uc8x.html

Cisco Unified CallManager Express Solution Reference Network Design Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/srnd/design/guide/cmesrnd.html

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris to come back to me. The links lead to this:

Forbidden File or Application

The file or application you are trying to access may require additional entitlement or you are trying to access a file with an invalid name. Additional entitlement levels are granted based on a users relationship with Cisco on a per-application basis.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, please try one of the following methods to locate your document:

1. If you are manually entering the URL into your browser location bar, be sure to include the file name of the page you are trying to access (file names typically end in .htm, .html or .shtml).
  2. Use the Search feature located in the upper right section of this page.
  3. Return to the Cisco.com Home or select a primary site area from the top navigation bar.
  4. Consult with your Cisco Account Manager to confirm you have the appropriate entitlement to access this page.

If you would like to contact someone about this problem, please click on the Contacts & Feedback link below.

Please i really need help, my brain is in jail right now!!!

thanks

You'll need to register for a Cisco CCO account in order to access the links.

Chris

Hi, i have a CCO account, but registered as guest. So i think i cannot access protested documents.

Thanks for your help