cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phone emulator for CUCM

Kert
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any software to emulate IP phone services, like IP communicator was? I would like to test CUCM phone services like extension mobility, provisioning, phone migration etc. IP communicator was excellent software for that. Jabber is good, but with limited functionality to test services.

Yes, other option is using hardware, but soft is more comfortable.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

you can use CIPC (IP Communicator) even in 2024..!!
no problem at all ^-^
specially for LAB environment & testing features like almost real Desk Phone..
i use CIPC almost everyday in my projects, for test & tshoot many things when my customers reports their errors..

but for Enterprise Customer use, only jabber is recommended.. (because CIPC is not more get any update or support..)

>> my Telegram id: @morez_hadi + if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful)

View solution in original post

Jonny Bacoz
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to simulate IP phone services like IP Communicator using software; despite its drawbacks, Cisco Jabber is a popular option. Cisco provides the Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) with softphone features integrated into various third-party softphone applications like MicroSIP and Zoiper, which can be configured to work with CUCM, for more thorough testing of CUCM phone services like extension mobility, provisioning, and phone migration. Furthermore, Cisco provides the IP Blue VTGO-PC softphone, which functions similarly to real IP phones and has strong capabilities, making it a good substitute for hardware-free CUCM service testing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

you can use CIPC (IP Communicator) even in 2024..!!
no problem at all ^-^
specially for LAB environment & testing features like almost real Desk Phone..
i use CIPC almost everyday in my projects, for test & tshoot many things when my customers reports their errors..

but for Enterprise Customer use, only jabber is recommended.. (because CIPC is not more get any update or support..)

>> my Telegram id: @morez_hadi + if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful)

Yes, I forgot to mention, I'm using CUCM in Enterprise environment.

Jonny Bacoz
Level 1
Level 1

It is possible to simulate IP phone services like IP Communicator using software; despite its drawbacks, Cisco Jabber is a popular option. Cisco provides the Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) with softphone features integrated into various third-party softphone applications like MicroSIP and Zoiper, which can be configured to work with CUCM, for more thorough testing of CUCM phone services like extension mobility, provisioning, and phone migration. Furthermore, Cisco provides the IP Blue VTGO-PC softphone, which functions similarly to real IP phones and has strong capabilities, making it a good substitute for hardware-free CUCM service testing.

Last I looked, the IP Blue VTGO-PC softphone was SCCP-only, but they do fully emulate a 79XX series phone. They are a Cisco Partner, like many companies, but they are independent of Cisco. The IP Blue phones work really well if SCCP phones will service your needs. The MultiLab version also allows you to run multiple SCCP softphones on the same PC, even giving them different IP addresses. I used them in my lab for many years until SIP became standard.

@Kert: FWIW - Cisco still uses CIPC in their labs for instructor-led training and some digital classes. It is absolutely viable and will run on PCs through Windows 11, even though the CIPC software is still on version 8. I keep hoping that Cisco updates the client. Jabber is awesome, but it's an app with telephony capabilities and not a "phone" like CIPC is.

Maren

Kert
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for replays!