IP Phone Firmware Reset/Update

tayzhiwei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently using: CUCM 8.5

Phone Default Load: Firmware 9.1.1

Phone: 7941, 7942, 7961, 7962, 7970, 7975

I've encountered issues ("Auth Failed") on firmware reset.

I believed it's because I need to flash 8.5.2 firmware before updating it to 9.1.1.

Is there any possible setup that I can do to flash my phone to 8.5.2 without connecting to my network?

Or is it possible to redirect my phone to other TFTP server (CCM5.1)?

Thanks a million!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

What TFTP server your phone uses is dictated by Option 150 supplied by your DHCP server. So you could have a separate LAN which points phones to another TFTP server to get just the 8.5.2 image from. (Or manually define the TFTP server for the particular phone)

Another option, is to install the 8.5.2 firmware on your CUCM TFTP server(s), manually configure the handset in CUCM,  and then manually set the Firmload Load name on the device itself to 8.5.2.

I use both of these methods when trying to resurrect dead phones.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

I don't know, sorry.

It may grab the file saying what the default firmware is, but *it's* configuration file will override the system default.

GTG

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

HI

You can use local upgrade process, Belw link has the example

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1148002#1148002

regards

Ronak patel

Rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

What TFTP server your phone uses is dictated by Option 150 supplied by your DHCP server. So you could have a separate LAN which points phones to another TFTP server to get just the 8.5.2 image from. (Or manually define the TFTP server for the particular phone)

Another option, is to install the 8.5.2 firmware on your CUCM TFTP server(s), manually configure the handset in CUCM,  and then manually set the Firmload Load name on the device itself to 8.5.2.

I use both of these methods when trying to resurrect dead phones.

GTG

Hi Gordon,

For the 2nd method:

During reset, the phone will try to grab the termdefault42 firmware.

Will it grab 8.5.2 even if i manually set it in CUCM?

I don't know, sorry.

It may grab the file saying what the default firmware is, but *it's* configuration file will override the system default.

GTG

It works after configuring my DHCP to a seperate LAN that points to my old CUCM TFTP server.

Thanks alot!