cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Softphone - How to make it work?

AvidPontoon1
Level 1
Level 1

Well, my current network has a 2811 router with a PoE switch to power IP phones. With the physical phones i have a vlan10 with the ip 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 that gives the phones an IP and then the normal VLAN for data 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

So this works currently. Now I have a Cisco Softphone on my pc, and I don't know how to set it up to work in the current system. Do i have to put the port that the pc is connecting to on the the voice vlan eg. "swichport voice vlan 10" Or does the phone just auto connect on the normal VLAN?

If someone can just explain how to set this up on the router, switch and the softphone itself.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, your PC's layer 3 is the router, no? So you should have a route from your PCs to your Voice VLAN. And the CME is located also on this voice VLAN? If it does, you won't have any issues to communicate from PCs to CME. 

By the way, I'm not working with CME, so I have no idea how to create a device for the IP communicator on the CME. Google it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

You do not need any configurations on your Data ports in the switch or router.

The only thing you need is routing from your data VLAN to where CUCM and IM&P resides. Of course this is not enough, you must configure in your domain DNS server the following SRV records:

• _cisco-uds._tcp.domain.com = Which will point to the FQDN of the CUCM (port: 8443).
    Note: if you have a cluster of CUCMs you need to create this SRV for each CUCM you have for survivability, so the preffered CUCM will have the lowest priority in the SRV record configurations.
  • _cuplogin._tcp.domain.com = Which will point to the IM&P server. (Also port 8443)

That way when you open Cisco Jabber, it knows to look for those SRV records and automatically discover your CUCM and IM&P servers.

Im not using jabber or CUCM, im using Cisco IP Communicator and CME....

Ohhh, oops. Sorry. Thought you're talking about Cisco Jabber softphone ;)
Anyway, it has been a long time since I used IP communicator, but as much as I remember it should be the same as phone. You can just go to IP Communicator settings after you run it, and configure the TFTP address which of course will point to your CUCMs.
Also, the IP address of your PC will be used for this softphone.

And the virtual MAC address of this device is provided when you first run this application, so you should take it and add a new device in your CUCM with a type of: "Cisco IP Communicator" with that MAC.
That's it.

So does the pc's ip address have to be on the voice vlan or the data one? I dont think the pc will get internet if it is on the voice vlan? I assume that if the pc has the data ip address (192.168.2.x) It will be able to contact the telephony-service on the router? right?

Well, your PC's layer 3 is the router, no? So you should have a route from your PCs to your Voice VLAN. And the CME is located also on this voice VLAN? If it does, you won't have any issues to communicate from PCs to CME. 

By the way, I'm not working with CME, so I have no idea how to create a device for the IP communicator on the CME. Google it.