Views
Helpful
Replies

license issue after upgrade

born.jason
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i upgraded from 4.x to 7.1(x) to 8.6.1 .

I registered the PAK file got the license file  and put this in the cucm 8.6.

Now i see 250 Units Authorized. But i have 468 in use? The PAK file was with 250 users but i thought if i upgrade the licenses from the old call manager the actual license go with the dma tool to 7.1(x) and than to the new 8.6 cucm?

What now?

regards

Jason

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Use this link :

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet?FormId=806

This is direct link to the migration , enter your CCO ID and then choose cisco unified communication manager and go on from there (No PAK required) only the content of the .lic file that was generated from the DMA tool.

Good luck

Amer

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

Sorry about that

On the swift licensing page I linked earlier go to the bottom of the page

and click on;

Migration License

Several productions have support for upgrades/migration licenses which can be transferred through the Cisco.com website due to RMA.Please click on the link below to see if your product is supportred.If your product is displayed in drop-down list, you may continue with migration process.

Register for Upgrade/Migrate License

Then;

Choose Cisco Unified Communications Manager from the Drop-down

then click on Goto Upgrade/migration license portal

This will lead to the proper area for obtaining the migration licenses

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/LicenseAdminServlet/displayMigProdDetail?SubGroup=CCMUPGFEAT

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello,

When you upgrade from 4.X to 7.X , you have to register the license that you get from the DMA tool , on CUCM 7.X , go to licenseing option -> license upload , you will find a file called upgrade.lic , copy the content of that file then go to licenseing web-site and regsiter this with the migration option , you will get all the license (DLU's and node license) when you do this.

Check the upgrade guide for 7.X from 4.X , it's on the install and upgrade books.

Amer

Thanks Amer.

What do you mean with "licenseing web-site and regsiter this with the migration option" Which licenseing web-site do you mean and which migration option?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

Go here;

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet

Licenses Not Requiring a PAK

If you do not have a Product Authorization Key (PAK), please click here for available licenses. (use the please click here link)

Available licenses include Evaluation/Demo Licenses, Cisco ASA 3DES/AES, PIX Firewall 3DES/AES and DES Encryption, Cisco Services for IPS, and Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version Upgrade licenses.

Go to;

Voice Products

Then select;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Device Upgrade License

Here is an overview;

Watch out for the note detailed in Step #2 below;

Step 1 After you complete the Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrade process, navigate to Cisco Unified CallManager Administration and choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Choose the license XML file from the Existing Files drop-down list, and click View File. The window refreshes and displays the information for the selected license. Copy all of the information in this file except the HTML tags. To copy the contents on this window, choose the appropriate text and choose Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 Navigate to the License Registration web tool at https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet

Step 4 Enter the MAC address of the Ethernet 0 NIC of the first node of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster.

Step 5 In the text box that is provided, paste the license file contents that you copied in Step 2 by using the appropriate keyboard shortcuts, such as Ctrl-V.

Step 6 Enter a valid e-mail address and click Continue. A license file generates.

The system sends the license file to you via e-mail using the e-mail address that you provided.

Step 7 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License File" section.

Step 8 You can obtain licenses for new devices that you are adding to the upgraded system, if your system requires additional device license units.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_2/upgrd612.html#wp1495

Have a look at this great tip from Jason;

"when you capture the xml file for the DLUS etc after the upgrade so that you can post it on Cisco's web site, it might be wrapped in HTML. ie the first line and the last line are html, and the license utility will reject it. Remove the first and last line to resolve this."

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Under Voice Products i have no point called "

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Device Upgrade License " :-/

Only Evaluation...

Hello,

Use this link :

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet?FormId=806

This is direct link to the migration , enter your CCO ID and then choose cisco unified communication manager and go on from there (No PAK required) only the content of the .lic file that was generated from the DMA tool.

Good luck

Amer

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

Sorry about that

On the swift licensing page I linked earlier go to the bottom of the page

and click on;

Migration License

Several productions have support for upgrades/migration licenses which can be transferred through the Cisco.com website due to RMA.Please click on the link below to see if your product is supportred.If your product is displayed in drop-down list, you may continue with migration process.

Register for Upgrade/Migrate License

Then;

Choose Cisco Unified Communications Manager from the Drop-down

then click on Goto Upgrade/migration license portal

This will lead to the proper area for obtaining the migration licenses

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/LicenseAdminServlet/displayMigProdDetail?SubGroup=CCMUPGFEAT

Cheers!

Rob

In my case i have to open a short case @ cisco because the license migration did not working, here a short explanation from cisco:

The license file did not work because the MAC address is setup as a physical MAC address when the license was generated and since you're running on a VMWare with v8.5, the MAC address should be setup as a virtual MAC address.

For a better understanding, here is how the MAC address should be setup:

If Publisher is Not in VMWare =>    HOSTID=732A4630BF53

If Publisher is in VMWare => HOSTID=HOSTNAME=732A4630BF53

Maybe this is helpful for some other people. And the only way to fix this is to open a case.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting back with your results (+5)

This kind gesture will help others moving forward

Cheers!

Rob