Views
Helpful
Replies

Line/Device CSS for CTI Ports

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello i was reading the SRND and have an doubt about this part of Line/device:

"The priority order between line and device is reversed for CTI devices  (CTI route points and CTI ports). For these devices, the partitions in  the device calling search space are placed before the line calling  search space in the resulting calling search space. Therefore, the  line/device approach cannot be applied to CTI devices such as Cisco IP  SoftPhone unless you are careful not to rely solely on the concatenation  order for pattern selection but instead ensure that the desired blocked  pattern's precision is greater in all cases than that of the permitted  pattern(s). "

So i cannot use the Line/Device for CTI Port and Route Point?

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***
8 Replies 8

will.alvord
Level 5
Level 5

I typically use CTI ports/route points for very specific purposes vs phones which are more generic.  Because of that reason, I typically just set the device css only.  I guess I'm just saying that yes there is the concatenation caveat that you mention, but it doesn't really impact you much due to what you'll use these for.

Thanks Will,

We will have UCCX in this environment.

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Sorry Leonardo.  Outside of some basic lab'ing, I've only used UCCX in production for TAPS which doesn't involve much in the way of call restriction planning.  I'm sure that someone else will be able to give you better advice.

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CTI Route Points do not use CSS's. You can verify this yourself by changing a working CTI Route Point (Do it in UCCX not CUCM) to use a CSS that you know has no partitions in it, and test a call. I'm confident it will still work.

CTI Ports however do use CSS's, however, in UCCX you cannot configure the line CSS, only the device. It's confusing because the wording in UCCX is "DN Calling Search Space", however, if you look in CUCM, you'll see that it's the device and not the line that got configured.

With that bit cleared up, now you're left with a single CSS to worry about, which can be called something like: UCCX_CSS, and contains in the following order a list of Partitions like:

• Block_Always
  • Block_Emergency
  • Block_International
  • Internal
  • Local
  • National
  • Toll_Free_Numbers

This way you get your general class of control with a single CSS, and the rest of the allowing or denying of numbers can be done in scripting.

E.g., If you have a dial by extension autoattendant and you do not want to transfer calls out to the PSTN, you could do something like:

if (caller_input.startsWith("9"))

true

play prompt (invalid number + try_again)

goto get_caller_input

false

redirect (caller_input)

successful

end

You could also create different CSS's and different port groups that have different class of resitrictions.

E.,g., Your self service IVR that transfers caller to a 3rd party call center, could use CTI Port Group 1 which uses UCCX_National_CSS. Your branch office auto attendant could use CTI Port Group 2 which uses UCCX_Internal_CSS.

Sorry I didn't answer your direct question, but I would just take the documentation as they way it is, unless you can prove it in a lab one way or the other. I do hope the information I gave you is helpful regardless.

Happy designing!

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Anthony,

I'm not sure if you are strictly meaning in reference to UCCX or another CTI app controlling devices, but cti route points do use css's.  At least for a route point for cfa which is the only test I could think of.

will

will.alvord wrote:

I'm not sure if you are strictly meaning in reference to UCCX...

Yes I am.  Since that is what you mentioned above.

Anthony Holloway

There's so much good information on here that when I run into new things I like to try them out.  Didn't mean anything negative by it.  Thanks!

will.alvord wrote:

Didn't mean anything negative by it.  Thanks!

I didn't see anything negative in your reply.  And you are very welcome.

Anthony Holloway