cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Make Cisco CP-8865-K9 (8800 Series) phone work on my home network?

I'm thinking of buying the Cisco CP-8865-K9 IP Video Phone to use at home.  

I have a wireless router connected to a Charter Spectrum modem.  

Is there some way I can use this phone at home? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-8800-series/datasheet-c78-734731.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I hope you already have a CUCM setup. 8865 can be connected to network using WIFI instead of lan cable. when using WIFI, you need to consider the Power cube as you are not powering it up using POE.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 7.32.24 AM.png

Connecting your mobile with 8865 is possible with Bluetooth. you can make and receive ur mobile call from Desk phone.

But if you are planning to use 8865 just like a normal phone(like Alcatel, Panasonic, etc) which we buy from shops, its not going to work like that.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 7.53.17 AM.png

Response Signature

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no.  
Cisco Enterprise phones with Enterprise firmware are (extremely) "challenging" to configure outside Cisco CUCM solution.  It can be done but it is difficult. 

Please note I said "Enterprise firmware".  Cisco has a different SKU for phone(s), like the 88XX, to run a different firmware called 3PCC/MPP.  This is a lot easier to configure to let the phone connect to your VoIP provider.  But still you need to know a few stuff beforehand.  

Let us know how you want to proceed.

Hi Leo,

Yes, I’d like to find out if the CP-8865 or the CP-8845 will work with my Charter/Spectrum system.
The modem from Charter is the Hitron Technologies, Inc model E31N2V1 and it is a recent replacement.
It also says: “DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA”
I use Apple equipment and have an iMac. My wireless router also an Apple product.
The CP-8865 and CP-8845 allow the audio from a phone call to be transferred from a mobile device.
Ideally I’d like that to work with my current model iPhone.
Then there is the video feature….will that work with Skype or FaceTime? If not, what will the person on the other end need?

Thanks for any help,
Ken

Hi KennethEmmer94830,

Leo Laohoo (Hall of Fame Community Legend) posted a new reply in IP Telephony and Phones on 09-18-2020 07:44 PM

Yes and no.
Cisco Enterprise phones with Enterprise firmware are (extremely) "challenging" to configure outside Cisco CUCM solution. It can be done but it is difficult.

Please note I said "Enterprise firmware". Cisco has a different SKU for phone(s), like the 88XX, to run a different firmware called 3PCC/MPP. This is a lot easier to configure to let the phone connect to your VoIP provider. But still you need to know a few stuff beforehand.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

Cisco phones and Apple's Facetime are not compatible.  

Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series Multiplatform Phones User Guide

How difficult is difficult?  I just got an 8865 through a third party with no information on how to activate.  Before I bought it, I called Cisco sales and they told me I have to buy it from a company like CDW and then I can use it for home. So I ordered one through eBay.  Yup, I did that. 

I got this phone because I already use one for working at home and love the clarity.  I also got it because my mother, who is 83, has a hard time understanding people on the phones that are on the market as the sound quality really sucks.  Sounds like the Peanuts teacher wah wha wha.  Anyway, is it possible to figure this phone for Home use or should I just eBay back out?

If not, the salesperson should have been honest and told me no.

Phones will work but it will depend entirely on different factors. 

1. Is the phone running Enterprise firmware or 3PCC/MPP firmware?  Hint:  Flip the phone to the back and look at the product ID/SKU.  If it has 3PCC or MPP in the model number, it is running 3PCC/MPP firmware.  
  2. Next, if the phone is running Enterprise image, the firmware can be converted for 3PCC/MPP but for a fee. 
  3. Depends on how "technical" a person is.  3PCC/MPP is the preferred direction if someone is not familiar on how to configure Cisco-branded phones without CUCM.  

Here is the bottom of my phone.  I don't see MPP nor do I see that it's an 8865NR.  So I'm hoping this can be converted.  What am I missing.  Thanks.

My Cisco 8865 Phone.jpg

Phone Information.jpg

@s_galev wrote:

How difficult is difficult?

Getting a Cisco-branded phone to integrate to a non-Cisco branded call manager, with Enterprise image, can be done but it will require some work.  For obvious reasons, the process is not documented by Cisco.  

An easy way out, however, is to convert the phone's firmware from Enterprise image to 3PCC/MPP firmware and the catch is there will be an associated cost involved.

Thanks.  Can you send me more information on cost and how I would go about getting it done?

@s_galev wrote:

Thanks.  Can you send me more information on cost and how I would go about getting it done?

Cisco Cloud Upgrader

Martin L
VIP
VIP

are you trying to set up small Voice lab? if so, you need Call Manager (CUCM) or CME on a router like 2800s or 2900s and having PoE switch would be nice but not necessary.  

I hope you already have a CUCM setup. 8865 can be connected to network using WIFI instead of lan cable. when using WIFI, you need to consider the Power cube as you are not powering it up using POE.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 7.32.24 AM.png

Connecting your mobile with 8865 is possible with Bluetooth. you can make and receive ur mobile call from Desk phone.

But if you are planning to use 8865 just like a normal phone(like Alcatel, Panasonic, etc) which we buy from shops, its not going to work like that.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 7.53.17 AM.png

Response Signature

Dear Cisco Community,

I want to thank you all for trying to help me, but the obstacles are too great, especially getting provisioned by Charter Spectrum for the phone to work. Instead I’ll get a new version of the Polycom brand phone that I’ve been using for years.

Thanks again,
Ken