Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from CME to CUCM

Raghavendra Rai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have 100+ IP-phones registering to a CME(ISR-1) at a branch office with a PSTN trunk as well.

Another new 5 phones are registering to a CUCM at central site and falling back to another SRST router(ISR-2)

100 IP-phones------------------ CME (ISR-1)

5 IP-phones--------------SRST(ISR-2)---------------MPLS-inernational Circuit----------------CUCM(Central-site)

Now we want to migrate all 100  IP-phones registering to ISR-1 to the Call-Manager in the central-site and a  fall-back to ISR-2.

We want these IP phones need to reach all IP phones registering to CUCM(Cetral-site) around the world using 4 digit number.

What would be the easiest way to do this?

1) Can i move all 100 phones to ISR-2 from ISR-1 and make them register to CUCM by configuring DHCP server and option-150(CUCM-tftp server-IP) at ISR-2 and making it SRST?

2) Is it possible to connect ISR-1 to ISR-2 and then make them register to CUCM?

Is there any other feasible way to migrate this?

your openion and suggestions will really help us?

Thanks in advance,

Raghavendra

6 Replies 6

Rajesh Revuru
Level 4
Level 4

First things first, what model is the ISR-2 router? This will determine if you can have 100 as SRST phones.

As far as migration plan you have to account of BAT phones into CUCM and then changing TFTP option would do the trick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Rajesh!!

Its a 3800 series ISR, offcource it suppots more than 100 or 150 IP-phones.

I want to migrate with minimum configuration changes, need your openions.

I knw thar i need to buy 100 additional licenses in CUCM, can use the existing CME license for SRST (correct me if i am wrong)

Is there any other requirements?

Thanks,

Raghavendra

dijohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IMHO,

All you need is IP rechability to the CUCM.

IP Phone ----- ISR(1 or 2)[MPLS-CE]------------MPLS -----------[MPLS-CE]------CUCM

How are you providing IP Addresses to the IP Phones?

Change the TFTP Option 150 in the DHCP Server serving ip addresses to these phones to CUCM TFTP.

Add the phones into the CUCM

You shud be good to go

Now for the SRST part of things..in case of WAN Failure...

You will have to choose between call-manager-fallback or telephony-service depending on the level of config/features you need on WAN Failures.

HTH

PS: Rate Useful posts!

Thanks John!!

Now i need to buy DLU's required for 100 IP-Phones right? also i can convert existing CME license to SRST right?

Is there any other requiremnts?

Raghavendra

No I don't think so.CME/SRST are Honorary licenses.

Please be advised that those are just paper licenses &  you would not need
any software license before you use srst.

Does it make sense?. Just use the command max-ephone to find out maximum number of phones supported in call-manager-fallback / telephony-service

PS: Rate useful posts.!

In a nutshell, you would require the licenses to legally use the feature. But, Licenses are not needed to activate the feature.