cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from CUCM 8.6 to CUCM 10.0 - Do I have to upgrade presence as well?

Aamer Ainapore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Raees, 

I've got a question regarding the Migration from CUCM 8.6 to 1.0, I went through the below "Ask the Expert" article.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12103966/ask-expert-cisco-unified-communications-manager-cucm-version-100

My question is, the CUCM 10.0 upgrade mentions the following on page 22 

"Refresh upgrade of Unified Communications Manager nodes only
Complete the high-level tasks listed in this section when you want to perform a refresh upgrade of only the
Unified Communications Manager nodes in your network. When you upgrade Unified Communications
Manager nodes without upgrading IM and Presence nodes, ensure that the installed version of the IM and
Presence Service is compatible with the new version of the Unified Communications Manager software."

I would only like to Upgrade the CUCM nodes but the client is using Presence 8.6 as well, would I have to upgrade Presence 8.6 to something else as well or can I just upgrade to CUCM 10.0 and the presence 8.6 would work with it, if I have to upgrade Presence as well then what version of Presence would I have to upgrade to and for the "Refresh Upgrade for Presence" can you mention the SKU that I got to get off the Product Upgrade Tool.

Since it's going to be a Refresh Upgrade for CUCM from 8.6 to 10.0 can you as well provide me with the SKU for the upgrade that I got to purchase, I can see two of them as follows:

UCM-10.X-SW-K9-XU=CUCM Software Version 10.X for PUT Only, Export Unrestricted
UCM-10.X-SW-K9=CUCM Software Version 10.X for PUT Only

Thanks

Aamer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IMP is a new name for CUP server, same concept. clients are Jabber clients instead of CUPC.

Check out CUCM 10.X install/upgrade guide which covers IMP planning and upgrade tasks:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100_chapter_010.html

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to upgrade CUP server to IMP which always needs to be on the same major release, so if you are going to CUCM 10.5, you need to be on IMP 10.5.  As of version 10.0 IMP is much tighter integrated to CUCM where the IMP servers are nodes in CUCM, and all user provisioning as of version 9.X is done in CUCM vs. CUP.

Chris

Thank you for the reply Chris, 

I have a few more questions with regards to what you mentioned in your reply, I'd be glad if you could clarify:

I have not dealt with IMP before...

1) is it like a plugin that runs on CUCM instead of a full fledged server or is it a stand alone server like CUPS (just renamed/rebranded).... I have till date been dealing with CUPS as a stand alone server that integrates with CUCM via the CUCM -> System-> Application Server Option.

2) If it's a plug-in then how would the upgrade be done from the CUPS Stand Alone to this IMP that runs within the CUCM Server or would it be a fresh installation or some activation of services within CUCM... and if it's a stand alone server then what Upgrade Image do I need to upgrade CUPS 8.6.4 to IMP 10.0 or 10.5.

I'm sorry but the upgrade path for CUPS 8.6.4 to IMP 10.0/10.5 is not clear for me, could you help me understand the migration for CUPS 8.6.4 to IMP 10.0/10.5..... could you as well advise any documentation that shows detailed steps for the upgrade from CUPS 8.6.4 to IMP 10.0/10.5... the CUCM upgrade is clear to me from the Upgrade Guide.

Thank you

Aamer

IMP is a new name for CUP server, same concept. clients are Jabber clients instead of CUPC.

Check out CUCM 10.X install/upgrade guide which covers IMP planning and upgrade tasks:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100_chapter_010.html

Chris

Got it!... thank you Chris... I'll read more

Main changes you'll see are that now most of the endpoint config is done on CUCM side, and that starting with 10.X, IM&P are to be added as subscribers to the CUCM PUB.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thank you Jaime